Thursday, July 15, 2010

Funny In Different Ways

I went out after work tonight to run some errands, and guess who was waiting for me when I got home? Hi, Marcel!


I think he and the other, more easily spooked cat I've seen around lately must have moved in to the house diagonally across the street, which sold a month or three ago. Yappy dog moves out and two cats move in? Works for me. I wouldn't myself have outdoor cats around here, as we get a fair bit of traffic through the neighborhood, but hey, you can't tell people how to raise their kids, right?

Moving on. I've said it before: I love it when people don't take themselves too seriously. This from a recent Publisher's Weekly:


Another good one this week: I was walking outside at lunch when a taxi honked at the bike riding ahead of it. The cyclist turned his head and spat on the road in front of the cab. I admit to laughing out loud.

Then, in the funny-weird instead of funny-amusing category, I went to check a book out at the Boston library the other day, and was surprised to be told that my card doesn't allow me to check books out. For some reason, like that I've checked out at least a dozen since I started working in Boston, and even had a book from the BPL at home at the time, I found this unexpected. Silly me.

The woman at check-out sent me to the main desk, where the woman there also agreed that no, my card didn't allow me to check books out. She showed me the area of the screen that had a C code, which apparently stands for courtesy, or perhaps computers, I wasn't entirely clear. (I had trouble understanding the accents of both women I talked to, and if you think you're having language issues, "you have a c-card" could be just about anything.) I showed my license for proof of address, and she changed the code and checked out my book with no further trouble.

But wouldn't you think that, if they had a classification that did not allow book-checking-out-ness, that the system wouldn't let you check books out with that card? Or is that too obvious?

Next is funny-crazy. From Bostonist (italics mine):
-- A Somerville man was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon after allegedly threatening to kill a manager at the TD Bank at 1270 Mass. Ave. in Cambridge with a pen. The suspect was upset that the manager couldn't prove the bank was real. [Somerville Journal]
Anyway. I went to bed at 8:30 last night, and that's no joke. Probably 8:25, actually, when I turned the light off. It was still light out! But boy, did I fall asleep anyway. And yes, I slept until 6. And yes, I was still tired, still hit the snooze button, still did not want to get up. I always have needed a lot of sleep, and I think I always will.

Today's weather was better than the last few days, at least. It didn't look promising this morning (I brought my umbrella, though the forecast said I wouldn't need it), but by lunchtime it was sunny and probably mid-70s. I sat on a bench knitting after I ate, and was practically perfectly content.

And, tomorrow's Friday. Ahhh. Let that soak in, will you?

3 comments:

  1. you might consider *not* walking home while the weather is so freaking hot. it might be a health risk. I kind of worry about you doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yappy dog moves out and two cats move in?" You mean there's hope for the apartment above me? Marcel is so cute! He looks like the cat my aunt had a few years ago (a girl cat so don't tell him; he might be offended).

    That "F-ing blunder" was hilarious.

    My guess on the code change to your card was that a global change done to correct something accidentally reset your card by mistake. Probably some other people's cards, too. If that's the case, that's going to get annoying for them.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Publisher's Weekly correction was hilarious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete