Monday, July 05, 2010

Feels Like a Summer Sunday

I just finished eating some chicken salad and pasta salad, which seems like a very summery meal. If I'd had lemonade or corn on the cob, that would have made it complete, but I didn't. However, I'll have frozen pomegranate seeds for dessert, which feels summery too. Refreshing and delicious!

I have pictures from walking on the beach on Saturday (love beach-walking!), but first, I have disturbing news on the new-sneaker front. After wearing them without trouble on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I noticed some not-inconsiderable soreness Thursday (just a bit at first, and of course more as the day wore on).

It's in the spots that appear to be my personal problems, where my old sneakers completely wore away, and where I got the mammoth blisters during the unfortunate "old shoes lead to blisters" job interview episode of 2008. (It's just about where the sides of Dorothy's heels would touch as she said "There's no place like home.") They weren't blistering, or even red, but they were sore and sensitive (who would think showering would hurt there?), and that's troubling on several levels.

First off, of course, it hurt. Not agony, but it was uncomfortable, and who needs that?

Second, it didn't start until I'd worn the new sneaks for three days. How exactly do you shop for shoes and avoid the ones that will hurt in three days? After all the trouble I had finding new sneakers, this makes my brain hurt too.

I gave my feet some time off, and they're fine again, but ugh. What to do now? Give them another chance? Slip cotton balls in? Tie them differently? I guess I'll try thicker socks, but I'm a little nervous of them, to be honest.

Given the forecast for the next few days, I'll probably be happier in sandals anyway, don't you think?

Click to enlarge
Today was in the mid-90s, as was yesterday, when I reluctantly closed the windows and reverted to air-conditioning. (I love having it, but prefer not needing it.) Saturday, though, was in the 80s, and I went down near the MA/RI border for an early dinner and beach walk with friends.

It's a beautiful area.


I judge all beaches against Florida ones, with which I am most familiar, and this one was more rocks than shells. They made pretty patterns.


We walked along the shore, the water a lovely temperature, and talked and enjoyed summer.



All kinds of footprints in the sand...


Just beautiful. Don't hesitate to do such things while you can, you know? I wasn't feeling great earlier on Saturday (post-headache-med hangover), but I rested and rallied, and I'm so glad I did.

1 comment:

  1. I hate shopping for shoes for that very reason. I have *ahem* large feet and therefore really would like some cute summer shoes. Those are really hard to find with my particular needs. I had foot surgery on both feet some time back and I cannot wear heels of any kind; I need some support; my hot spots are my little toes on the outside. It is extremely difficult to find shoes that fit and are cute. I've been having to wear the ugly sneakers with massive support for so long.

    Good luck finding something you can work with ;)

    ReplyDelete