Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Night, and the walking's gimpy

Cliches become cliches for a reason, and it really isn't the heat, it's the humidity. Uf da. The air is solid dampness.

By the time I got home tonight, I was damp myself (you're welcome!). Not quite as if I'd jumped in a pool while dressed; more like I'd gone swimming in my underwear, then dressed without drying off. Fun. (I have a whole post brewing on how I'd better see this helping me soon, damn it.)(You're welcome!)

And today it actually hurt me! Just a little, though, and I blame the guy in the SUV who, as I walked past while reading my book (just to be clear, he was parked), called out to me that I would fall. "Haven't yet," I told him, and okay, maybe I jinxed myself but it was his fault, he started it!

Because down the road, I stepped off a curb wrong and twisted my ankle a little. It isn't even the ankle that hurts much, actually, but I sort of bruised the side of my foot. It's a wee bit puffy, and ouchy feeling especially to walk on, and has an icky-looking sort of blood blister thing.

Wearing shoes tomorrow is probably going to be more interesting than strictly necessary.

*********
There were guys on the street soliciting for the Red Cross today ($$ not blood), and I'm afraid I gave him a bit of a start. I said sure, when they stop telling me I have Mad Cow. (They stopped taking my blood, got to be ten years ago, because I spent a year in England. In the 80s. Before I donated a couple of gallons of blood. And platelets.)

You have to have principles, you know? If my blood isn't good enough for them, why would I give them money?

I'm joking ... kind of. They're a fine organization and help a lot of people. They just put my nose out of joint, and it shows no sign of going back in place.

*********
The book I was reading was Amy & Roger's Epic Detour; it's a YA title I read about somewhere, and I really enjoyed it. My subway ride home went like this:
  • get on
  • sit down
  • pull out book
  • look up: halfway there already?
  • look up: oh, we're there? Already?
Yeah, I liked it. Might even buy myself a copy, that's how much! It somehow managed to have events unfold in a thoroughly "right" way without being overly predictable.

Aren't books wonderful? I'll have to tell you more of what I'm reading these days, some time. I know you can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I think I ordered a copy of that book for my former school library--interested in reading it myself, so I'm glad to hear it's good! I hope your foot's doing better.

    ReplyDelete