Sunday, February 21, 2010

Of Cats

I* got this tall, solid scratching post years ago, when Pan and Harold outgrew the little kitten-sized one, and I took pity on Pan squatting down to be low to the ground so he could scratch UP! It's worked out well; although the sisal-rope stuff has settled down over time, it's pretty well made, and has held up to a lot of scratching.

*Actually, I think my mother got it for them. Thanks again!

A few months ago, after Harold died, I pondered whether I should keep it, as it does take up space, and Miri didn't seem to be using it at all. (She liked to scratch on the actual carpet instead, the pest.) And then came Carlos.


Carlos loves it. The first photo, taken without a flash, is a blur because he was launching himself around the base, attacking the dangly things that have hung ignored for so long (Pan liked them, and even he didn't play with them much the last year or two, but just did plain scratching). He dives and swoops and has a wonderful time.

Kung fu pose! Oh, flash! Bright!

I know you're still there.

Recently, I've even noticed Miri scratching the base, instead of the rug. Win-win; it stays, of course.

And here they both are, not curled up together, but adjacent at least. I think that Miri is completely ready to be friends, while Carlos isn't quite secure enough yet to encourage her. Still, for only a month in, they're getting along splendidly.


Herself still wants love, naturally--on my terms, stop trying to kiss me, touch the belly if you dare, can't you scritch my cheeks endlessly and leave the rest of me alone?

I'm so cute, right?


But now there's another contender for the cute title. Look at him:


Deeply asleep, or practicing his dive for the 2012 Summer Games?


I do love a cat in sunshine.



**********
Hey, by the way, yesterday's post was the 900th I've posted! How about that?

And I've used 70% of my photo allowance. Have to keep an eye on that number. I've been perfectly happy with Blogger, overall, and wouldn't plan to switch to another platform, but I can't fathom blogging without pictures. As well make me type with my tongue. Not going to happen.

Reminder: comment on my review of Home Is Where the Wine Is, and you might win a copy of the book for yourself! Go on, you know you want to!

1 comment:

  1. I love Carlos' gusto!

    Can I borrow him so he can have the same effect on my cat as he did on Miri vis-a-vis nixing the carpet scratching?

    ReplyDelete