Monday, February 01, 2010

The one good thing was today went by quickly

(Well, and stitch and bitch was good, too. But you get my point.)

People with office jobs know that taking a day off generally means you can't see the top of your desk when you get back. That's not just me, right?

Last week was a busy one for me; at the beginning of the week I was catching up from having the previous Friday off, and then I was trying to get as much as possible done before having the coming Friday off. (I've learned to make a list before I go of things I need to do/work on/talk to people about/follow up on when I get back. Thinking I will remember them all is a pipe dream.)

I worked about an hour late last Thursday, just to get organized, and still there was a lot to sort through this morning. And I did get a lot done today, especially considering the half-a-freakin-day I spent at a company-wide meeting that was hugely boring, I'm sorry but it was. They were telling us a lot of what they recently told the sales people at meetings, and I don't sell our products, so I really don't need the level of detail they do. (I would totally suuuuuck at sales, just by the way.) They did give us a nice lunch, but after three hours* of "here's how '09 financials compared to '08" and "here's where we think we'll be in five years" (surprise, they're optimistic!), cold pizza would have been good.

*with no breaks

So! Though I did stay half an hour late before hustling off to stitch and bitch, I didn't get all caught up, but I made a good dent. If tomorrow goes well, I'll be close to normal by the end. And I am not off this Friday, which makes me sad but also means that the gear-up/catch-up cycle is off for now.

Boy, do I want to find a proofreader job soon, though. Just saying.

Carlos wants that for me, too. He's very easy-going. Not just not aggressive, but non-confrontational. Placating, even.

Cute, too. Right?





Tomorrow, I may talk knitting, I may talk books. Or possibly about something else altogether. Can you bear the suspense?

3 comments:

  1. Carlos reminds me of our dear departed Ed. Very cute, and worth at least his weight in cat food. Maybe he could get a modeling job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlos is a handsome cat. I love his sweet contented face :)

    I recently took an entire week off from work and, when I got back, vowed "never again". For me it's not so much the piled up work but the brain gear-switch from "no work" to "work". gah.

    Good luck on finding a proof-reading job. That sounds like it would be right up your alley.

    Speaking of reading, have you read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"? What a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't have Tux I'd have to stalk you so I could steal him (just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete