Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Knitting Impasse, and more blathering on

I want to knit. I generally have more than one project going at a time; not dozens, perhaps, but two anyway. Now I have the socks, and they're going fine, but I want something else for when I'm in a different mood. Bigger needles and/or yarn, something. But what?

I've had a good time looking through the yarns in my stash, and got the Rhinebeck purchases listed on my Ravelry page finally, but they are mostly sock yarns and some laceweight. I'd rather have only one pair of socks going at a time, and lace is hardly a break from sock yarn!

Searched here and there, didn't narrow it enough. Tried this, but yarn and needles weren't singing.

I guess I'm just at a loose end. Humph.

**********
I got a call from an agency out of the blue the other day. They were asking me about a proofreading job opening, can you believe it? Perfect--except do you know how far north of me it was? Try 30+ miles each way. I just can't do it! It's too bad though, it sounded promising otherwise.

I will persevere. But that seems a little mean of Fate, don't you think?

**********
Some job listings are vague. Others are very, very specific:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; use hands and finger to feel and handle; reach with arms and hands; talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, and crouch; lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
Methinks the government is behind this.

**********
Surprise, the Bruins lost last night. Yup. To quote Bostonist, after that game, "they've lost eight in a row (longest winless streak since the Eisenhower Administration)". And not to offend vegetarians or poultry fans generally, but according to the Globe, Marc Savard said, "Maybe we have to sacrifice a chicken or a rooster or something like that to try and change our luck."

Yeah. Good luck with that.

**********
Happy thoughts: the cats continue to coexist without murder. Carlos made a jailbreak attempt this morning, in fact a successful one save for the key fact that in a condo building, getting out the door leaves you ... in the hall. Not out out.

I don't actually think he wanted out so much as that he felt the feline disdain for A Door I Can't Get Through. Cats are not so much into closed door situations.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, 30 miles is too far. My last job was 37.5 one way and in winter weather that's too darn far. The only advantage was audio book downloads from the library.

    Why not a worsted weight shawl - something like Weavers Wool Mini Shawl (free and on Ravelry under that name). Treat yourself to something nice and soft in a color you love, or two or three. I've done one, it's nice tv knitting and warm too :) You can keep it or have on hand as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 miles??? Rats!!!

    Carlos, I hope, realized that what is on the other side of the door isn't half as nice as what he has inside. My cat is a frequent bounder out the door and down the hall. Which was really annoying when I was closing at the bookstore and didn't get home until 11-11:30.

    I am just waiting for the elevator door to open, or for my neighbors to open their doors, so she gets scared straight.

    ReplyDelete