Sunday, July 05, 2009

Two Days of Mostly Sun, and I am a new person

I am fully prepared to rhapsodize about the weekend's weather, but I want to cover the knitting news first. You don't mind, do you?

I finished an experiment that I'm pretty well pleased with. Recently I was thinking about how my friend's twins will be two in August, and I'd like to make them a little something but what, and I came up with this idea: take a couple of the alphabet squares I have left from the ill-fated afghan project of a few years ago, then pick up stitches along the sides and knit in different colors and varieties of yarn, and it could be a fun little texture/color toy. Or something. I finished the first one, and like it well enough that I will start the second shortly. The top:


And the back:






Not all that complex, but I'm happy with it.

I also wound the Smooshy yarn I just bought, and started a sock yesterday.


Here I am testing it out:


I have the toe started, and am about to start in the round. It might be slightly too big; I'm undecided, so I'll go a little further and see. If it is, the frogging won't be too painful. More knitting time for the yarn money! I like making socks, but I still wrestle with the size-pattern-fit issues.

Now, on to the weekend! And the weather that is not complaint-worthy, but due praise! And exclamation points! Here is some of yesterday's blue sky:


And here is today's:


The recent weather woes have me so crazy that after yesterday was finally nice, I started to worry that this summer would be an inverse of the usual problem. You know how so often weather on holidays is bad, but it's nice other days? Well, I thought, if the fourth of July is nice, and the last really, really nice day was Memorial Day ... does that mean the next nice day isn't until the next holiday? But that's Labor Day! September! Two months away!

No worries. Not only was it sunny when I woke up this morning, but there was barely a cloud in the sky. I could hardly believe my eyes. Before I went out, I looked from window to window, amazed by all the blue.

Yesterday a friend and I went on a long walk, and it was just gorgeous. We ate ice cream outside, then sat out and relaxed (it was a long walk; we were tired!), and then ate outside. Today we went on a shorter walk before a nice, low-key cook-out. It was all simply divine. Here are some of the highlights.

By the way, I was a few blocks away from home yesterday when I realized I forgot my camera, and I turned around and went back for it, as I could not imagine going without it. I blame the blog for this.

Flower going from bud to fuzz.


Don't the unripe ones look like mini melons?


Would this be a sunrise flower?


What about this?


A shy flying thing (butterfly, moth, something) that would not open its wings for me.


Some sort of flowering tree, very un-New England-y.


Steps to nowhere, now.


More fluttering things.




Can you believe all that blue sky? It's so blue.

4 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS skies! Lovely weather! I was gawking at the blue with a big grin on my face! I think there is a painted daisy or Gallardia in your flower pix, but I'm hardly an expert!

    I love the textures on the project for the twins. They'll be super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was outside myself yesterday admiring the Queen Anne's Lace and assorted other weeds (aka unappreciated flowers)in bloom. It felt so good to put on dry work gloves and putter around the yard in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The knitting project and the weather are both so lovely! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful knitting, and wonderful weather! I hope the storms aren't too fierce in you neck of the woods tonight.

    ReplyDelete