Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy Day

1. My mother is home and doing fine, hooray! It's such a relief to have the surgery behind her and the healing process begun. By the time I'm down there at the end of August, she should be doing so well, it will be a joy to behold.

2. I just read that you could get a free sailing lesson in Boston today. I wouldn't have gone even if I read about it in time; once was enough. My parents and I tried that many years ago, and ended up in the harbor. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, ugh.

3. Apparently it was baseball's all-star break or something recently? I don't notice these things, but there was an article in the Globe the other day with fans whining about how they were supposed to live without the Sox for four whole days. Forgive me for not sympathizing. The same day, the Globe published the Bruins schedule for next season, which includes a break for the Olympic Games. Two and a half weeks, people. Hush about the four days, all right?

4. Went to the new Harry Potter movie today, and enjoyed it. If you're fervent about the books, you can't help noticing how much they had to leave out, and it was still really long, but I liked it. I'll be seeing it again with Mum. We're also going to see The Time Traveler's Wife, so it will be a big movie week in Florida.

5. I also bought a new book, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I've been reading about but hadn't seen yet. Once I picked it up and started looking, it was a foregone conclusion. Word games will always get me, when done well, and this seems to be a very good job. Even before I got deeply in, I liked this author info from the back cover:
Jane Austen is the author of Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and other masterpieces of English literature. Seth Grahame-Smith once took a class in English literature.
6. Have I mentioned that it's been warm recently? As in not cold? Someone at work was complaining about the heat the other day, and was shocked to hear that I like it (up to a point, anyway). I pointed out that I'm the one who's been complaining about the weather for, oh, the last six months or so, right? I like this.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for mom being home! Let me know ho the book is, I've been thinking about getting it for a while. It combines my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete