Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday: much like Monday, but with Novocaine

Well, this hasn't been the best day, and it's not looking like the best week, but at least I'm not writing another layoff story today, like some people are. (New Strategic Direction? That's horrible; bite me!)

On the other hand (or perhaps back on the first hand), my face hurts all the way around to the nape of my neck, and until the pain pills kick in, the world is looking a little gray. The dental experience of getting the temporary crown done was not really that bad, and thankfully I did not have a headache to get jarred by the drill (geesh, those things are awful). But now the novocaine wears off, and I whine and whimper.

Plus? I'm taking Harold to the vet tomorrow. For about an hour after I gave him the pill last night, he was quiet, laying on my bed, and I thought that at least he wasn't having the "manic" reaction to Benadryl. But then he threw up, and this is not a cat who throws up. I can literally think of two times in over ten years when he has. So I knew he would get no more Benadryl even before he threw up again less than an hour later. And that means that, since he's still doing the periodic wheezing, we go to the vet to see if we can find out why, or at least what we can do about it (without Benadryl).

Poor baby. He kept moving his mouth and tongue like he couldn't get the taste out of his mouth. He was fine this morning, but I still felt for him.

The dentist gave me an info sheet on "cracked tooth syndrome" (yes, it really says that, it's a syndrome), and it is cracking me up (on the inside; I can't laugh right now, or at least I don't feel it would be a good idea). Here are some of the gems:
  • Eating and drinking while trying to avoid the tooth causing you discomfort is very difficult. (As we said in high school, No shit, Sherlock)
  • It would be ideal if all dental and medical procedures were always successful. (Understatement alert! Understatement alert!)
It reminds me of the sheet I got after having my wisdom teeth out, which told me to keep the areas clean. Darn, no dirt for dinner!

The paper is actually a consent form, though I didn't have to sign it. My favorite part is where I would have signed if I had to, which looks like this:
I acknowledge that I have read and understood all this information and have been given the opportunity to ask questions. All questions are answered to my satisfaction and I consent to the proposed treatment plan for the cracked tooth, _______________.
What is the blank line for? Honestly, it made me think I would have had to fill it out, "...for the cracked tooth, number 14." But that can't be it, can it? What else, "...so help me God"?

Also, you know I would have* written in, above "read and understood all this information," something like, "including where you wrote 'Occasional' where you should have written 'Occasionally', and all the misplaced and missing commas."

*probably I wouldn't have. But I would have been thinking it.

Now, looking on the bright side, I didn't have to have my eyes dilated at the eye doctor tonight, making that experience markedly better. My eyes are fine, given the condition of my vision. (I still find it funny that I've known my "contact lens guy" for 33 of my 40 years, but in truth I trust him completely with my precious vision, and highly recommend him; if you're north of Boston and in the market, let me know.) And although the weather wasn't completely Spring today (too much chill wind for that), it's getting better. Plus, it was still light out when I drove home after 7. Woo-hoo!

I was thinking it would be soup for dinner, but perhaps I can manage scrambled eggs. The codeine must be kicking in.

P.S. to knitters: go see this cartoon!

2 comments:

  1. Next time you're at the dentist or anyplace you have to sign the stupid consent form, I double dog dare you to correct the grammar and typos. DOUBLE DOG DARE!!!

    I've always wimped out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your teeth problems my dear! Hang in there, j

    ReplyDelete