Sunday, March 22, 2009

What on earth, indeed

Yes, the What on Earth catalog is aptly named. I've looked at it before, I've even ordered things from it, and I've often marveled at what a very mixed bag it is. Something for everyone, perhaps? There really isn't another explanation.

I was looking through the recent catalog, and playing the game of comparing the items on any individual page: which would I buy, which would I take as a gift, which would I not want even if free, etc. And then I saw this: the remote control yodeling lederhosen.
This powerful knockwurst remote control sends your Lederhosen bouncing around the Alps of your coffee table with a cheery "Yodel-ay-ee-hoo!"
I won't put that picture on my blog, but seriously, go look at it. It amazes me that I live in a society where one person conceived of this idea, another okayed it for production, and people spent money on it. Granted, as it's on clearance, perhaps not that many people, but still! That anyone ever spent $24.95 on it, let alone $10.98. And now it's sold out! The plot thickens. How many were made, I wonder? Do I even want to know?

As a disclaimer, there are things in this catalog that I quite like. A few years back, I even bought a dress from it, nice enough to wear to a wedding! And the t-shirts and signs can be quite funny. Goose a dragon & you're toast made me laugh. I also like the idea of posting this sign at work, though perhaps not while I'm still relatively new to the job. Dark matter made me do it is great! And don't miss Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver.

Some of the items are amusing or attractive without tempting me to buy. I understand there are things that appeal to a market segment that doesn't include me (dachshunds, NASCAR, beer; car antlers?), or come close but miss (baseball, football, and basketball "spoken here" signs, but not hockey?) (actually, hockey wasn't in the catalog, but it's on the website, sold out; bummer).

And others are simply WTF.

The BBQ sword is kind of funny, in an I-wouldn't-pay-for it way, but what raises my eyebrows is the line, "Includes a cut-out musketeer mask." Really?

I had to look twice to see that these bowls are supposed to be flamingos. The shape said to me, why does anyone want a set of bowls shaped like stomachs? (Flamingos are oddly popular here.)

The cat toilet seat set is simply disturbing, and that's without seeing it with the toilet seat up, which I can only imagine is worse. And is the butler version better, or worse?

The rest stop photo frame? Again, who came up with this idea, and who decided to make it, and who bought it?

Dressing up a little kid in a Peeps costume? Cute, in a silly way, but that's what kids are for. However, I would keep away from the adult who would wear the matching one. That's troubling. (Not to mention, originally eighty dollars! And hand wash!)

I don't even know how to describe the mini floor fan and vacuum for your computer.
Juice up this desktop fan and handy vacuum using a spare USB port, keeping cable clutter to a minimum. The fun floor-fan retro-style fan has a simple push-button on/off switch; vacuum is convenient for sweeping up after lunch at your desk.
Really?

Monkey lamp with banana accent? Really?

1 comment:

  1. I actually hold on to those cataogs as late night light amusement, tossing when the next one comes in. But this time, I actually bought something which I haven't done in so long they stopped sending me catalogs and your post reminded me to look at the online one.

    And I bought doors.

    Doors from W.O.E. with working hinges (they say).

    I have this vision that I swear I will someday bring to life on my walls. This vision consists of the lyrics to 'Open a new window' from Mame, and a series of gates, doors, and windows with photos or pressed flowers behind them. I may be eighty-four by the time I get to it, but I *will* do it.

    So, now the doors make more sense ...maybe?

    ReplyDelete