Saturday, September 27, 2008

Time for some happy things

A happy thing is when you finish* a good book by a new author, and upon consulting Google, learn that she has another out in the series already, and more planned for next year and the year after, plus another series starting next year. Whew!

*And let me tell you, twenty pages left and I had No Idea how she was going to finish it. Never saw it coming, but man, it worked!


The author is Ann Aguirre, and I'd never heard of her before. Grimspace is her first novel, and I read the start of it in the Books-A-Million Science Fiction Book Club. (Have I told you about that before? They e-mail the beginning of a book over the course of a week, Monday through Friday, so you can sample it and see if you like it. All free, though of course they hope you'll want to buy the books, from them. I mostly use the library, since I doubt I'll ever in my life be able to afford to buy all the books I want to read. Anyway, they have a bunch of different clubs, such as mystery, business, etcetera, and it's a great way to taste a book to see if you want more. Learn about it here. End digression.) I liked the start of book, and got it out of the library. Very good stuff! So that's a happy thing.

Another happy thing is when NESN decides to televise a preseason Bruins game. Between my schedule and theirs, I haven't been able to get to training camp to see them working out, so this was my first chance to hear and see hockey again. Ahhh. It was a good game. They lost, but it was close, and entertaining, and hockey.

A couple of thoughts: I'm not sure why NESN had music playing along with the Jeremy Jacobs interview between periods. It was very distracting. I'm hoping it doesn't become a habit with them.

New NESN reporter Naoko Funayama interviewed Patrice Bergeron after the game, and made him look very, very tall*. Can't wait to see her interview Chara**. How far back will the camera operator have to stand to get them both in the shot?

*Bergeron is 6 feet tall.
**Chara is 6 foot nine.


Unfortunately, NESN doesn't have another game for two weeks. They're blowing off the rest of the preseason, and the Bruins' opening game is on Versus (on my birthday, yay! Ten PM start, boo!). So they'll be showing the game October 11, when I'll be ... in New York, at my grandmother's. Sigh. Life's just That Way sometimes, innit?

Other happy things include a surprisingly pleasant new yogurt:

Lord knows I can use all the calm I can get right about now.

And the brownies I'm going to make as soon as I hit "publish post". Because they are called for. Brownies are the ne plus ultra of happy things.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say about one Mr. Jeremy Jacobs is www.PleaseSellTheBruins.com every scam artist has a "soft side" the old buzzard couldn't even remember Manny Fernandez name. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

    ReplyDelete