Friday, September 26, 2008

Rain, cats, and applesauce

It's pouring rain.

It has been all day without cease. Around lunch, I checked the weather online, just curious, and saw that there was a Flood Watch for Massachusetts. When I looked at the details, I saw that it goes until Sunday morning. Wow, that's a lot of rain! They're estimating we'll get 3 to 6 inches. Send boats.

Fortunately, I didn't have to go out, and saw no reason to do so in these conditions. I've spent a quiet day with the cats.

In fact, I had a smidge of a headache this afternoon, and went to lie down for a little bit. Both cats were on the bed, and when I joined them, Pan walked up to my head, watched me for a few minutes, and them draped himself over my forearms. He put his head down near my elbow and went to sleep. It was a really nice snuggle, and might have gone on for longer if I hadn't felt the need to move my arms after about an hour.

Speaking of cats, I just read a book that I recommend if you like cats and books, or more specifically libraries.


I read a review that sounded promising, and found the book to be really enjoyable. In addition to being about the life of Dewey, the library cat, it's also the story of Spencer, Iowa, a town that's gone through considerable ups and downs while trying to remain true to itself. Very interesting.

Plus, this woman really gets cats. Such as the difference between cats and dogs:
"...cats may need you, but they aren't needy."
And refuting the idea of the lazy cat:
"Cats aren't lazy; they'll put in the work to thwart even the best-laid plans."
I'm not saying you have to read it, of course. Just that if you think the subject appeals to you, try it, because I bet you're right.

I'm making more applesauce tonight. The chilly, drippy weather seemed to cry out for something bubbling on the stove, and I've been meaning to use up more of the apples from last weekend, and freeze the sauce for future use. I went to Target yesterday to get some 1-cup plastic containers, and utterly struck out. There were a couple of half-cup sized, and 2-cup, 4-cup, 6-cup ... all fine in their way, but not what I wanted. I found some at the Christmas Tree Shop.

Target also seems to have stopped carrying the trash bags I use in the kitchen, the extra tall size, which fit around the freakishly large trash can I have (what can I say? it has style, but most kitchen bags won't fit it). Not that I'm 100% sure, but this is the second store I checked, plus the kid stocking the section looked up the name of them on his little hand-held doohickey and found no match. Very irritating. It's frustrating to go in for three specific things and come out with one.

In a final and unrelated note, to go back to e-mail spam for a moment, I have two questions. First, why is so much spam dedicated to replica watches? And second, when will they learn that if they ever want to sell me male enhancement products, a subject line like, "You'll for sure will be more manly" isn't the way to my English-major heart. Seriously, Leandro, even if I wanted your product, that kind of error makes me hit delete faster than usual. Word to the wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment