Thursday, September 04, 2008

Learn from me, please

Can I give you some not-so-random advice?

If you are like me, you have a pair of shoes that are mostly for things like funerals and (ahem) job interviews. If times are good, you may not wear them for a while. Like years, in my case, and maybe yours.

Put them on today. Wear them around the house for a good long while.

Five minutes is not enough. Try three hours.

(If you leave the house, bring bandages and ointment with you.)

Ahem. On the left, the shoes that are going to charity because they might fit someone who is not me, and they're in perfectly good shape.

On the right, the $5 flip-flops that I bought three minutes after leaving my interview, so that I could make it home without resorting to crawling on my hands and knees.


I will spare you pictures of my blisters: all eleven. Let me just say that my feet hurt so much, I was willing to sit on a bench in the middle of Boston, in front of god and everyone, to remove my stockings* and shoes, and that I could have cried from the relief when the switch was done.

*Thigh-highs. I don't know what I'd have done if I was wearing full pantyhose, but then I rarely do.

Oh, how was the interview? As interviews go, it was good. It's with an agency, and they get some temporary stuff and some permanent, so I'm hoping to find perm or temp-to-perm, but may well settle for temp as time goes by. I've had two different people tell me it's a good agency, one who didn't even know that's where I was interviewing, so I feel good about that. Otherwise, we'll just have to see. Though I'm hopeful, I'm certainly going to keep looking on my own.

Once I can walk again, that is.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad the interview went well! Sorry about the shoes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Jess said. Temp to perm is sort of like a trial marriage and can keep you out of some bad situations; I know it did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the job. I admit I winced at the shoes--just to look at them hurts my EE width-Swedish-snowshoe feet. Heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty girl shoes! That's my definition of 'owie'...glad you made it through your interview before the shoe/flipflop switch!

    ReplyDelete