Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The good old baseball game

Let me say first that I had a good time at the game; second, that the Spinners lost (10-3, not even close); third, that it was hot, very hot; and fourth, that it made a much later night than I'm used to. That covers most of the non-picture-specific part, unless you have questions.

No? On with the show! And I do mean show.

The monster truck outside the stadium should have given me a hint of what was to come (i.e., spectacle).


The view from our seats. Look, ma, no zoom!


I really don't know what that guy was doing to his shirt collar, though.

There was a kids "game" before the main event. So cute!


Really, the only thing cuter happened later, and I didn't get a picture of it, since I was laughing too hard. At one point in the game, they had a little kid who was going to "race" two of the mascots around the bases for some prize. Mascots and little boy take off from near first, the mascots making a valiant effort to look like they're trying to beat the kid while actually not trying at all, and then, as they got near second, the kid turned ... right. Yes, he started off into the outfield. He was a little guy, perhaps he didn't understand the concept of running around the bases as it pertained to, um, the bases? Everyone was laughing, the mascots were kind of running in place and randomly falling over to avoid getting a lead, and one of the organizers jogged out after him, and ran the rest of the way with him, holding his hand.

Anyway, back to pre-game. The players did a rather odd (to me) synchronized warm-up thing that involved hopping. Seriously.


Knitters in the next section, and the one beyond that!


My traitorous camera focused on the baseball, not the sock. Does it not know me at all?


Really, you haven't lived until you've seen someone in a toothbrush suit running the bases. Of all the many, many, many promotions they had (seriously, does no one go to watch the baseball?), this was the strangest.


By far.

This struck me as odd because it was near the end of the game. It was either 9-3 or 10-3, but there are the players, leaning forward and watching like it's a cliffhanger. Um?


Also, can you read the sign? "No autographs during the game. Players are working." Yeah. Un-huh.

And that's baseball! We discussed maybe doing it again. I would vote for a Friday night or weekend game; getting up this morning was even less fun than usual, not to mention how the cats felt about it.

We could also go to a hockey game. It's a bit more compatible with knitting, I think (though in fact I got about three inches of sock done yesterday, which pleases me). We'll see.

*******************************

Even the smoothest and most peaceable day, which today was not, would quiver under the combined strain of "far too little sleep" and "PMS". But I was a little surprised at myself when, out of the blue this afternoon, I suddenly thought, Jelly Belly. I could buy some after work. That would be good.

I wasn't surprised because of any anti-Jelly Belly feeling, just that after months without them crossing my mind, they were what my subconscious dredged up for comfort. Isn't the subconscious an interesting place?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I am the man who invented Jelly Belly way back in 1976. I am currently writing a book called A Man and his Beans....A documentary is being made on my life by Costa Botes...A clip is on my blog www.candyinventor.com Best of everything

    ReplyDelete