Friday, July 18, 2008

Already better than the other guys

As you may recall, I've done my share* of ranting about the ordeal of getting my car serviced, given that I have been very unhappy with the dealership's service department, and had a bad experience elsewhere as well. I've been procrastinating on finding another place to go, because hey! Procrastination! That's me, procrastinating since 1981 (at least; junior high is the first Incident that I recall).

*Actually, I've done your share, too. And yours. You're welcome.

Finally, though, I have taken a step forward. After asking people for recommendations, after wandering blindly through the innernets, after doing who really knows what (other than putting off a decision), I picked a place to try. Third time lucky? I'm hoping.

I cross-referenced AAA's recommended mechanics with Car Talk's mechanic reviews, and found a place that was on both, and had Saturday hours (which was sadly rare). I want to save sick days and vacation* time for things like doctor's appointments, I'd prefer not to use it to doctor the car as well!

*And, oh, vacations, too.

I decided to start with an oil change, and see how I feel about them before diving into the scheduled maintenance that is doubtless necessary. Feeling cautious, I called today to make sure they weren't likely to greet my appearance tomorrow with an are-you-kidding, today?

The woman who answered the phone was cheerful, friendly, polite.

When I asked whether I might be able to get an oil change tomorrow, she said sure, took my name, and asked when I would like to come in.

Comparing that to the attitude I always got on the phone with the dealership, well, no contest.

So I have hopes. I would like to have a place I can go to, trust, the way I did with the Saturn dealers in Charlotte, lo these many moons ago. I don't know if it's that Southern politeness thing, or a Saturn thing, or what, but I always found them to be so helpful, friendly, willing to work with me ... it was great. Perhaps this new place will be a step in the right direction for me and the little car. I'll let you know how it goes.

**********

So, the solution to my "I can't reply to commenters" dilemma was embarrassingly easy to solve. I mean, the address isn't actually in sight, but when I click right there, oh look, e-mail address. Sigh. Well, it's never fun to feel stupid, but this isn't a huge oops, just an aw nuts. And after all, it is the weekend, finally. Off I go to do nothing much. Have a good one, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Hey - good luck with the car! I left my mechanic since 1990 briefly and came back after one year. He's expensive but worth every penny. If you like what you get, next time you go in bring brownies - just like Click & Clack recommend - it DOES work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Charlotte me and my mom were ROYALLY screwed over to the tune of thousands of dollars when my Toyota broke down repeatedly. I think we lucked into two dishonest dealerships in a row.

    You call it procrastination, and maybe it is, but I see a slow and thorough search process. I don't use ANY service without a recommendation anymore and I respect your research method.

    Good luck with your new repair shop!

    ReplyDelete