Saturday, September 22, 2007

Still not fully well, but by the way, I did talk to the Mazda guy

I was supposed to go out with friends today, and when one called this morning to see if I was feeling up to it, she said she knew as soon as she heard my voice what the answer was. What she didn't know was that I sounded like that after sleeping 12 hours last night, and then taking a 2-hour nap. If my father didn't do the same thing when he's sick, I might start to worry, but there you are. Strange things, genetics.

I actually got through Thursday and Friday at work okay, but by the end of Friday, I was wiped out. I headed for home telling myself, you can just go to bed. Go home and go to bed. Maybe a little kitty maintenance, and then go to bed.

And that's about what I did. I tried to stay up a little, to give the medicine time to kick in and soothe this nagging cough (I simply must stop nagging), but gave up and crawled in bed at 6:19 by the wonder-clock. Enjoyed the simple pleasure of being horizontal for a little bit before falling asleep. I woke up a couple of times (gave Pan his pills at 11 ish, took more cold meds at 2 ish), but didn't really awake until around 7 this morning. Even then, I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to get up, but I decided I ought to at least have a bowl of cereal, since I never even ate dinner last night. I did that, watched a little TV, then gave up and went back to bed for the aforementioned 2-hour nap.

I was awake when the phone rang, though. Harold was trying to get me to play with him, pet him, love him, and I was being a bump on a log, and in his wiggly enthusiasm, he slipped right off the bed, poor love. I was trying to call him to come back on and be consoled when the phone rang, and he came and sat on my lap instead. Silly thing.

Anyway, Mazda! Back on Monday, when I just had a slight sore throat (ahh, those were the days), I called the Mazda place and actually got to talk to the customer service manager, after all our phone tag. Surprisingly, I had a not totally waste-of-time conversation with him.

It didn't start well, when he asked what I wanted to talk about. What I wanted to talk about? That would be in the letter, sir. But he agreed with me that the annoying guy from my last visit should have explained himself better, and not just blown me off with his "if it comes out, bring it back" line.

He also told me that the guy in question has since been let go, and although part of me thinks that's a rather convenient answer, it would be a pretty quick lie for him to get caught in, if he was lying, so maybe he isn't. I mean, he (the manager) wants me to come back, and if I did (which is still a really big if), and saw this guy was still there, I would turn right around and leave.

Beyond that, he told me that they're under new management/ownership, which I didn't know. They used to be 128 Mazda together with 128 Ford and I think another brand, at the old location, and I hadn't noticed that at the new spot, where they call themselves Liberty Mazda, they're only Mazda (and I thought they were trying to reinvent themselves to get away from their reputation). He's right, though, that they weren't as crazy-busy when I was there, in the new spot. At the previous location, they were always buzzing like a kicked anthill, which I always thought was much to blame for the mediocre service I received there (see: three-hour oil change). There is such a thing as being too busy for one's own good.

I just don't know. I'm not even trying to decide now. I just wanted to thank you guys for being out there, because it helped me not procrastinate on calling him to know that someone would ask if I had.

And now, I'm thinking scrambled eggs and toast, a rest, and then if I feel ambitious, a shower. Woo-hoo. I see the need for another minion, you know? Help when you're sick? Especially for those of us who live alone. I'm so glad I got to the grocery store...

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're still alive and able to deal with things - but yeah - it would be nice to have a "rent a minion" nearby. My own husband (same one since '71) doesn't minion well when I'm sick - he likes home cooking - the nerve!

    It's neat that the new Mazda guy seems decent - maybe you'll give them a try. Just make sure he knows you're coming by - don't make your appointment with anyone but him.

    I hope you feel better soon. The fur babies need you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a couple of minions I could lend you for a little while---but they aren't much help, I'm warning you. They read the cat handbook and now they're good for nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon!

    If you get truly desperate, shoot me an email -- you don't live THAT far away, and it's errand day.

    ReplyDelete