Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Today, I remember Paul

My cousin Paul died eight years ago today.

Eight years. That hardly seems possible.

Life goes on, you recover somewhat from the staggering blow, but you never forget, you never entirely become the person you were before that phone call, the person who was half-watching the Emmys and thinking that you wouldn't be caught dead (caught dead) in most of those outfits, wouldn't take them for free, and hello? hey, are you watching too, what?

What?

And everything stopped.

Eight years later, it isn't as harsh most of the time. Most of the time. As with any death, little things make me think of him, and because he and my friend Pat both died that year, when I think of one I think of both, so I get doubly sad, or sad twice as easily, or some such mathematical equation. Thus, it doesn't take much to give me a twinge:
  • motorcycles
  • cancer
  • this movie has been formatted to fit your screen notices
  • wolves
  • NASCAR (especially Dale Earnhardt)
  • Saturns (the cars)
  • the Emmys
  • packing peanuts
Usually I just think of Paul or Pat, Paul and Pat, and move on; less often I wallow and remember and then move on. You have to remember. Not that I could forget, of course.

And I don't want to. I'm glad that remembering hurts less, has fewer sharp edges than it did. That's enough.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry.

    I can't really think of much more to say than that. I'm just sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for your loss...and glad.

    Glad you were touched enough to remember. Glad you were blessed with their presence, despite how short it was....and no, you don't want to know when it will end because it colors the not-end part.

    Glad that they mattered enough to be missed so much...which doesn't feel so much like a blessing for a long while, but later on, you are very glad they were in your life. You wish they could have been in it longer, but what was there was precious indeed.

    Somewhere they are listening and smiling, and knowing they were loved.

    ReplyDelete