Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend Wrap-up, part two

Before I get to the rest of the weekend, I have to say, I just read the Yarn Harlot's latest entry about her tour (I've been having trouble accessing her site recently, anyone else? Getting the "can't find the server" messages a lot?), and that squirrel bandit is so funny! (It's at the end of the post, if you want to skip past the rest for some reason.) She has some wicked funny fans.

So, where was I? I was in Boston, walking along by the Charles River. It was so lovely on Saturday, with the sun sparkling on the water, and sailboats circling around and all.


You won't catch me in one (bad experience years ago), but they form part of a scenic exterior, don't they?

Things I like about Boston include the juxtaposition of old and new:



and how if you look up, you are rewarded with lots of interesting things:








You have to remember to look down, too, though:


Lots of that going on. Watch your step!

In the Public Garden, I saw not one but two wedding groups having photographs taken. Having glimpsed a bride, I at first thought this was a bridesmaid:


but no, apparently she was something else altogether. Prom? But no Prince Charming! QuinceaƱera? I don't know. She was carrying a magic wand sort of thing... and spoke Spanish with the photographer as I walked past. Interesting. I could tell she wasn't with the bridal party once I saw the actual bridesmaids of the nearer group:


And farther off:


Near the Common, there's a church undergoing renovation. Someone with a sense of humor works there! It's a little blurry: can you read the fine print? "Exterior renovations" and the months that's taking place; "Interior renovations" and the times of Sunday services. Nice!


So, in the end I walked around for almost 3 hours. I got a couple of slices of pizza at Pizzeria Regina at Faneuil Hall, then got back on the T to head home. Tired from all the walking! In what turned out to be sort of unfortunate in the long run, I wasn't really tired the next day, so I went ahead with my plan of walking into my suburban town center (it isn't a long walk) for our local town day festivities. You know the sort of thing, full of booths where the local candidates and organizations are set up and they sell fried dough and lemonade and have raffles. It was fun, but it was walking, all walking, and by the time I got home again, my legs were on strike. They're still sore today. Worth it, it was a good weekend, but still. Not unalloyed joyfulness.

And have I mentioned that I'm tired? I was watching TV last night, and I was comfortable, and I meant to go to bed early, but I had a cat on my lap, and I ended up watching Mystery on PBS instead. Where is my willpower? Has anyone seen it? I need to go look for it now. I'll leave you with one last photo. Monica and any other Ms, this one's for you:

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos! The exterior fire-stairway was especially nice. What a delightful walkabout you had! Well, except for the legs on strike part, but that was to be expected.

    Sleep now. (That would be you who are at home, not me who is at work.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Boston. That looks like a great weekend. I miss the days when I could wander around a city at will. I know I'll get that chance again some day...

    ReplyDelete