Sunday, September 23, 2007

Excited to do laundry?

Yes, this is a new low, I'll be the first to say so. It sounds like the punch-line to a joke: you know you've been sick when ... laundry is exciting. But of course, it isn't the laundry that's exciting, it's having the energy to do it that pleases me. And while the two loads I'm getting done tonight barely make a dent in the pile, it's a start.

I've done very, very little the rest of the weekend. We'll call it conserving energy, shall we? It seems to be working, at all events. I feel much peppier than I have in the last week, and my cough is currently missing, and the congestion, while lingering a bit, is not as bad. All in all, a marked improvement.

Now, I need to go put away some clean clothes, and then have the ice cream I promised myself for looking at the "bills" folder (I have to bribe myself to do that, sometimes). But first, I have a little story to tell.

I realized I never told you this one, from Nantucket. On that Sunday, my cousin took me to the give-and-take at the dump. As it sounds, that's an area at the dump where people take things they no longer want, that are still good, and so other people go to look over the offerings. It's kind of like a yard sale where you don't have to pay. Some of the things are Lesser, like books and clothes and toys, and some are More, such as while we were there, I saw people drop off a foosball table, and a few minutes later, someone else loaded it up. I picked up a few books, and we found some toys for my cousin's daughter, but no big finds. However, my cousin was telling about her recent big find.

She was looking in the clothes, and found a skirt she liked, in her size, a big-name designer (I think she said Ralph Lauren, but if not, something like), and with the tags still on. Nice, right? Who wouldn't be pleased? Nice new skirt?

And because the tags were still on, she knew that the skirt had a retail price of twelve hundred dollars.

Twelve. Hundred. Dollars.

That's where my mind warps, because I try to imagine someone buying a twelve-hundred-dollar skirt (which, to be honest, I have trouble with in the first place, spending a mortgage payment on one article of clothing), then deciding not to keep it for whatever reason (it didn't fit? don't like it after all? nothing to go with it?) and, instead of taking it back to the store, she took it to the dump and left it at the give-and-take. And my mind boggles.

Does yours?

3 comments:

  1. My morbid mind considers the possibility that the original owner is either dead or the recipient of a very evil prank...with credibility going to the former. (I watch a bunch of CSI shows and read murder mysteries. What else can you expect?)

    Growing up in Mason, MI we often went to the town dump which was a cross between the one described in 'Alice's Restaurant' and the one you described. We scrounged for parts to repair go-carts, bikes, and even cars. My sister and I adored an antique maple headboard with baroque carvings and filiales. There were wigs and dress-up finds-- a veritable cornucopia of childhood delights in the mountains of wire and who-knows-what. I can't tell you how many tetanus shots that dump was responsible for!

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgetting the $1200 skirt for a minute, I have to say that sounds like an awesome idea, and I wish we had it around here, that Give and Take idea. We do, sort of, but it's online.

    As for the $1200 skirt...I expect it all has to do with scale. I've heard Nantucket attracts quite a bit of Wealthy, no? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It boggles my mind to think of someone who buys $1200 skirts actually taking them to the transfer station herself :)

    ...but then again, this IS New England. Odder things have happened. A certain World Series comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete