Friday, April 21, 2023

Of Garages and Doors

We were told recently that some of the garages in our building, including ours, were going to get new garage doors that were more hurricane-resistant. Fine, sounds good. Last week, we were told it would be done Friday, but even before I moved my car out of the garage on Thursday, they said no, it would be Saturday.

On Sunday, I noticed that it hadn't happened, and we asked and they said yes, sorry, now Monday. I went out on Monday and they were there, working on another one of the garages.

But Monday night, we still had the old doors. And it turned out that oops, they ordered the wrong size door! So they would let us know when it would happen.

Thursday morning, I heard that it would be that day, sorry for the late notice, and I went down and moved my car out again. But last night, I was in the garage for something and saw that the old door was still there (it clearly didn't look new, but also they had stuck pieces of painters tape on the fronts of the ones that had to be done, and ours still had it, while the two others on our side of the building didn't. I emailed to ask if that would be done on Friday.

You know what happened? Go on, guess. No, you won't guess. It turns out that our door is a different size than the others they were replacing. In fact, it was the size that they had had on Monday, that was the wrong size for the door three down from ours!

How on earth did they build this building and not put the same size doors on every garage? Theories:

  1. They got a deal on a mixed lot of garage doors in different sizes and made it work.
  2. They had miscalculated somewhere and when they got to the garage at the end, it was a slightly different size than the others*, so they fudged it.
  3. What's your theory?
*I wonder if our garage is an inch wider or an inch narrower than the others?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful that I'm not someone whose job relies on information from other people. Imagine just being the person who needs to install these doors and constantly be told conflicting information. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm just picturing someone going, You mean we have to go get that one again?!

    ReplyDelete