Saturday, September 10, 2022

Double Shot

This morning, Mom and I went to a local grocery store's pharmacy and got our shots: the new bivalent Covid vaccine and the regular annual flu shot. I love to think about the protection building in my body! Come on, antibodies, do your thing. Keep us strong.

We chose the store we did because they were offering $10 in store credit to get your flu shot there, and another $10 if you got a second vaccine the same day. So not only did we get the shots we wanted, we came out of it with $40 in free groceries! Not a bad deal at all.

So far, I'm not having any reaction other than slight soreness, though funnily enough it was in one arm at first, then that one seems to have gotten better but the other is a little sore. A small price to pay, to be sure, though it could make sleeping interesting tonight, as I am normally a side sleeper who turns over all night, so I could be doing some ouching. But that's okay. Worth it.

Other news? Not so much. I've read some good books:


I've kept on knitting, the usual sock:
And that shawl:
It's still hot here, temps getting up to about 90 and the feels-like often over 100. I've been doing water aerobics, but also sometimes just getting in the pool to float around. It's very pretty.

One day, I had a friend in the pool keeping me company:

Mister lizard.
I think the little guys are cute (it helps that they leap away instead of at you, and they range from small to tiny). Mind you, another day I saw this guy out the window and jumped.
Much bigger! Also more green.
Dude, what are you doing on the sixth floor?

Speaking of hot, I am so glad to be here, being hot, instead of up north. I miss my friends there, a lot, but I do not miss temps going down into the 50s already. Give me the air conditioning. I bought a couple of new sleeveless shirts recently, and I'm wearing them. 

Fun fact: when you're searching a rack of mixed-sleeve-length shirts, and think you see a sleeveless one because you see the end of the hangar, it's often one of those cold-shoulder-look ones instead, and has sleeves dangling down. Ask me how I know.

The elevator work was supposedly/maybe/perhaps finished this week. It was supposed to be done last week, but oh guess what not so fast, the panel "didn't fit" and it meant another few days this week. Now we have the new panel we supposedly needed, and maybe it's done. I'm afraid to believe it, though; it seems to me that someone once mentioned the floor getting redone, and that looks the same as ever, so maybe that's still happening. I hope not. It's fine. Leave it alone. I don't ever want to climb the stairs again, and my knees second that.

Another building change is to the broadband, i.e., TV and internet and phone. They were here in May, running new "fiber" into the walls.


And this week, the person came to hook us up to the new, fancy stuff. Which is working, but of course there are caveats:
  • He set up the new wifi network (if you come over, look for the network named goBruins), but left the old one because something-something about the box being in my room meant that my mother's phone and hardwired computer being in her room was a thing? I don't see why, but okay, it's all working for now. We may see someone come to do something about that. Whatever.
  • He couldn't transfer over all the saved programs from our old cable box to the new system, which wasn't a surprise but sucks; we had a lot of good hockey games saved on that to get us through off-season. I've already started recording again.
  • More crucially, though, the new channel lineup for the new service does not offer us NESN anymore. May I say frankly, goddamnit! We couldn't watch the live games on it, we subscribe to Center Ice for that, but CI doesn't always show the Bruins side of the broadcast, and with NESN we could record the rebroadcast of good games and watch them later.
    • On the previous type of service, it was in a package of a dozen sports networks, none of the others of which I could name because who cares, they're not showing me Bruins programming. But on this fancy, higher-level, so-called improved service, they don't offer it at all. I'm pissed. I sent them a message asking how to request they add it, which probably won't do anything, but it made me feel better.
On to happier thoughts. Like the interesting clouds one night recently:


And how about finishing up with some Maggie?




4 comments:

  1. Good luck with it all. There's a great cat and sock to cheer you up.

    I'm very much an insomniac type, but after getting my omicron shot early Thursday morning, it was hard to raise my arm by that night and then I slept ten hours straight. Dragged yesterday but picked up as the day went on.

    I was debating running and going get my flu shot now or waiting till Monday so I don't sleep through church tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're brave to get both shots at the same time! I don't think our flu shots are even available until October.

    It's definitely fall here! Time to layer up, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're really debating when to time our COVID/flu shot. I feel like it's early to get a flu shot if we want the protection to last into Feb/March when there's usually a peak in flu cases. Argh. Why is it so hard to make these decisions?

    It's good to hear you aren't having many side effects, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for my local Board of Health to run a clinic and we'll get boosted then. Flu shots, for me, wait until late October because I know I'll get it in late March or early April if the shot is done earlier. Experience is a great teacher.

    Here's a hint on the shot placement that a pharmacy tech taught me. Get the shot more toward the front or back of your arm rather than the usual middle placement. It's so much easier for side sleepers like us.

    I love Maggie's paw - my heart melts whenever Tux does that to me.

    ReplyDelete