Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Help Me Out Here

I have a couple of topics I want to write about soon, updating on my knitting and talking about an upcoming trip, but first off, I could use some advice. It's annual review time at work, ugh, and I am just stumped by this question:

"What did not work as well as planned?"

Other than "I did not win the lottery in 2021," I have no answer to that; I kind of want to write, "Did 2021 work as planned for anyone?" or just "I mean, 2021, am I right?" 

More seriously, my only personal job 'plan' involves doing the work that I am given as well as possible in a reasonable amount of time. I do that. We have no control about what comes in when, so it's hard to be any more concrete than that.

Last year, I went with the angle of "we hoped to be ahead of the curve regarding the busy period at the end of the year, but given 2020, not surprisingly that didn't work" (I'm paraphrasing). And while 2021 was also a weird year, I'm not sure I can hit that again.

What angle am I missing? 


4 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate review time...particularly since my position is not reflected in the "purpose" of the review. It's ridiculous and a waste of time for everyone involved.

    As to your question, I'd probably go along the lines of what you used previously. Honestly, I don't think they care; they just want to tick off all the little boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not above cutting and pasting from a previous year's review if it's still applicable. But I'm also lazy and don't care much for my job, so cutting corners is my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said--2021 was 2021 for everyone. Conveys empathy rather than needless fault-finding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you reference the period of time when you were doing another job as well as your own and state that covering the additional work created poor work/life balance for you and you're glad that they have the position covered now? (apologies if 1. that bit was in 2020 or 2. I've gotten this snarled up)

    ReplyDelete