Friday, September 03, 2021

Adding Another Thing to my Plate

Even though my mother's recovery from hip surgery is going well, the situation does mean I have more things to do these days, and really the last thing I wanted to do, in theory, is add anything else to my plate.

But. Mom and I have talked for a while now about how we could go down to one car, and that though my 2012 Kia Soul has been fine, it's probably a good idea to get a newer one, say 2019, and upgrade the safety equipment versus what I have now. I did some research, and determined that I don't want the base model, but either the + or the ! would work.

Yeah, seriously, the Plus and the Exclaim. I had to google the latter to see how on earth you were supposed to say it. The Plus has all the good safety stuff I want; the Exclaim seems more aimed at turbocharged this and that, which I don't need, but would take for a good enough deal.

Of course, finding used cars is harder these days, with pandemic effects on the markets for new/used/rental vehicles, and I've been checking CarMax regularly and seeing either nothing, or ones with over 50,000 miles on them, which, no thanks. 

There have been two Souls nearby showing as Coming Soon for a few weeks, one with 24K and the other with 28K, and I was figuring either would be worth a look once they were available. But then, Wednesday afternoon, I got an alert that a new one was listed, and it turns out it has 14K--fourteen! Or, as I learned when I talked to the person from CarMax, actually just under. Considering that the buyer gets the remainder of the 5-year, 60-thousand mile warranty, that is not bad!

CarMax transferred it to the nearer location to me, and on Sunday, I will take a look at it, drive it, make sure there's nothing weird about it, and if so, boom, new car!

Which means I need to get some bumper stickers. I hate a naked car.

I love this one, but it isn't meant to be outside, so it won't last. I'll keep looking.

2 comments:

  1. Anticipatory and happy congratulations and I hope you get a really great car! It sounds like you've found just the one.

    We were finally going to replace our Prius this year--it's a 2007. Still under 100k miles, but, still. But the house repairs just killed that idea for now, so I'm all ears on hearing what worked out for you while we keep an eye out towards maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to get a new car... and fun to think of new decorations!

    ReplyDelete