Monday, April 13, 2020

What's Your Go-To Cupboard Recipe?

Someone in a group I'm in* is trying to start a recipe-sharing thread, and suggested picking recipes that are quick and easy, and don't require rare ingredients.
*Actually, now two of them seem to be going, so I'm going to have to see which is who before proceeding.

Which got me thinking about how one person's always-have-it could easily be another's rare ingredient. I mean, my comfort meal is probably tuna noodle casserole, and so I have always kept pasta and tuna and cream of chicken soup* in the cupboard, and peas in the freezer, and as long as I'm not out of milk, I'm good to go. But there are probably others who would say, cream of chicken soup? Why would I have that on hand?
*It can be cream of anything, really, but I prefer chicken.

What's always in your cupboard? Do you have a recipe that you don't need to look at the recipe to make?

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate and coconut cream. I can make a chocolate torte any time for anybody. One time I didn't have time to go hunt down the heaviest cream at the store so I just went dairy-free with the coconut cream, which is always on hand because of my daughter's dairy allergy. Took the torte to a party, and at the end of the party apologized that it wasn't quite the usual one they expected.

    Not a single person had noticed. They had expected my traditional chocolate torte so that's what it was to them till after the fact. It still kind of boggles my mind.

    I've been making those since 1990 (I put notes in my cookbooks) and one time there was a church pot luck with categories assigned by the first letters of our last names. One friend complained quite loudly, Who assigned the Hs salad?! I was looking forward to my torte! So, yeah, they've had it before.

    ReplyDelete