Sunday, April 19, 2020

Third Time Lucky

So already I have an update to yesterday's update on the lace knitting:
Did not work! I was going along, not that far into it, and my count was screwed up and I couldn't even see where, and I got pretty upset; I wasn't having the best day, mentally, and I just wanted this one thing to go right, and argh.

After I calmed down (quite a while later), I reassessed the problem(s):
  1. The stitch count being off was clearly the main problem.
  2. It was maybe wider than I wanted, given my desire to use up every bit of this yarn.
  3. It was really lightweight, which, I know, lace-weight yarn is, but I wasn't sure I was loving how it was coming.
  4. Though it wasn't very far along, it wasn't looking quite right, somehow.
To address the last point first, I looked up my previous feather-and-fan experience, which was part of the Mioget shawl I made a few years ago. Both what I had there, and the pattern I was using for Take Two, are 4-row repeats, but the Mioget was knit a row, purl a row, pattern row, purl a row, while this one was knit a row, purl a row, pattern row, knit a row. Now, that isn't going to look the same! I looked at other people's projects for that pattern, and couldn't see a problem, but decided that I did want it to look like the Mioget did, so that addressed the fourth point. Wait, let me do them in order again.
  1. Using stitch markers between the repeats across enables me to check the stitch count before I've knit all the rows in between. I really need to do this. Simple fix.
  2. Don't do as many repeats, so it will be narrower but can be longer, more a scarf than a stole.
  3. Hey, maybe if I held the grey yarn together with another lace-weight yarn, I'd like the look/feel better.
  4. Switching to the feather-and-fan that worked for me before.
To address point three, I went to my shelf of lace yarns, and found this lovely skein waiting there for me.
Look at the colors!
It's Malabrigo Baby Silkpaca, which goes well with cashmere-silk, don't you think?
So I wound it.
Started last night, worked on it more today, and very happy with it so far!



4 comments:

  1. Lovely choice of yarns/colors! A pain to have to start over several times, but I think you definitely now have a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! You really have found the yarns and the pattern that go perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete