Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Looking Around the Curry Mansion Inn (Key West)

All right, let's wrap up the Key West posts, quick before I go to Hawaii! (Previously: main entrytreasure museum, Hemingway Home)

To recap, we spent our one night at Amsterdam's Curry Mansion Inn; I searched (and searched) for a place that both had availability that night, and didn't require a multi-night stay, and this was the winner.
Just lovely! (As I said in previous entries, if you want more concrete info about the place, beyond my font of randomness, start with their website.)

Let me start by saying that the brochure mentions a self-guided tour, so there was nothing weird about me wandering around and taking lots of pictures!

Given the age and condition of the place (old, and stellar), I was not expecting an elevator in the library, but there it was.

I actually wondered for a moment if it was an old phone booth with the phone removed, but the sign clarified that:
As did a look upward:
I coveted this gorgeous secretary desk piece in the lobby.

And the detailing, everywhere!
Look at that woodwork at the top of the doorway.
The phone/intercom thing amused me as well. In the lobby:
And upstairs:
And another! Though no handset on this one, so even if the others still work (doubtful, right?), this one wouldn't.
This is the second floor.
Where there was this neat sewing supply box.

And a ship's wheel tucked behind a display case.
Fuse box?
Interesting things tucked in every corner and on top of every piece of furniture.
Oh, look, another phone box!
The back stairs down.
Interesting corner case.
Stairs from the second up to the third floor, slightly fancier than the previous stairs.
Where I saw this neat old sewing machine.


And this traveling wardrobe.



More plebeian stairs behind it.
Leading to a ladder if you want to go up to see the view, ulp. I decided that I could do it, though I have a bit of a thing about climbing like that.
(I've had semi-recurring dreams where I get stuck in spaces that shrink while I'm going through them...not fun.)

The view in all directions was certainly worth it!










But I more or less took pictures all the way round and then headed back down, before I got too worked up about the descent. Hey, know yourself, right? I'm glad I did it, but also glad I managed how I did it. I mean, I don't think I would have gotten stuck and worked myself into a panic, but if I had, and had to send for backup, how embarrassing.

Back on solid ground, and admiring the stained glass!

Back on the ground floor, and in the music room there's this old thing: is it a record player? Not exactly.

More like a giant music box?
With a crank on the side.
As I said, there's plenty of information about the rooms and their contents* on their website, but these are the things that caught my eye.

*I take it back: there's plenty of info there on the Inn itself, but I don't see anything like the brochure that they had there, which was full of details, so let me throw some pictures of that at you:











1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    I love the pictures from the roof where it looks like pawn pieces in a chess game.

    ReplyDelete