Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Making the Mental Shift

First, read what I wrote this morning:

So, having had my mini breakdown last night after getting the extension news, then taking a unisom and sleeping deeply (with some odd dreams, but at least I slept), I sat down this morning to face the situation. What it boils down to, beyond all the "but it's not fair" whining I want to do, is:

  • I need to know, more or less now, if I am moving in two weeks. I have been planning as though I will be, but that's based on the closing date that the buyer set, which I do not feel 100% comfortable assuming will happen.
  • I will not know for sure if the mortgage is approved until Friday. Nothing I can do about that.

So! I have decided that I am moving in two weeks, whether or not the closing date does turn out to be 5/31. I am aware that this "decision" is simply my reframing the situation to one that I can live with, but, eh, I can live with that. No matter what they do, I am moving at the end of May. If the closing date pushes out, I will deal with that from Florida.

Now, before you ask, I did check in with the realtor and the attorney and neither of them has a problem with this plan. This may well be because they have more confidence that the 5/31 date will hold up than I do, but I can also live with that.

What I can't live with is spending the week thinking that if the date does get pushed out, I have to change all the plans I have made so far. I certainly want to believe that closing will be 5/31, but let's look at this process so far related to dates.

  • The buyer's initial offer suggested a closing date of 5/28. When I asked my realtor if it would be a problem to be closing on Memorial Day, which is a national holiday after all, she said oh no, the banks are closed, we can't do it that day. Right.
  • The buyer's offer said that the purchase-and-sale agreement would be signed on April 16th. When I asked on the 16th if it was going to happen, they said oh, but it's Patriot's Day, can we do it tomorrow? Now, Patriot's Day is a state holiday, not federal, but if it mattered to you, maybe look at a calendar and choose a different day.
  • The P&S set May 14th as the deadline for the mortgage to be settled, and we all know how that went.

The first two are minor, but add up with the final point to make a troubling pattern in my eyes, so it's hard for me to have a lot of faith.

But so what. I'm moving anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And then, at 4 this afternoon, my realtor emailed me that the buyer says her bank is issuing the commitment letter, so it's all on for the 31st (though, I'll believe it when I see it). Seriously, I feel like they should be sending me a box of chocolates to apologize for the last 24 hours. (Dear bankers: I like Sweet Sloops.)

1 comment:

  1. Soon, soon, this will all be in the rearview mirror. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete