Monday, November 20, 2017

To Gym or Not to Gym

I think I'm going to cancel my gym membership.

This isn't just about being depressed since Carlos died; I mean, doubtless I am depressed, but I was actually thinking of doing this before. The holidays are coming up, it gets busy, then I'll be away for two weeks (in swim-class time, not in calendar time), and then it will be January, and I can get my exercise from getting ready to move. Instead of giving up an evening or two a week to swimming, I can spend that time cleaning out the basement storage, and the linen closet, and all the other corners I need to go through, making all the decisions I need to make before I can sell the condo, and get ready to move.

I would be more likely to keep up the membership, even if I only went irregularly, if going made me feel better. In any way! But it doesn't, and instead of giving me more energy, it takes some of the little I have, and I just don't see the value.

Looking at the contract, it appears that since I paid for first and last month when I joined, cancelling now means I can still go in December. So maybe I'll go again--I'd like to thank the teacher, if nothing else, for exercise I found tolerable (I won't say it that way to her, I promise)--but I'm not going to put pressure on myself for that now. Take it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment