Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Knock-Wood Exercise Update

I just got off the bike, so you can imagine the mild burn in my quads. I can't believe I have to do stretches now! It's helping a lot, though, so it's worth it. In addition to quad-focused stretches, before and after riding, I'm trying to do some that target the back of the calves (possibly the soleus, though my google-fu is uncertain), since those are getting sore, too, whatever they are. But my main question is this: why does the exercise kind of, sort of, seem to be maybe working this time?

Yes, I'm knocking on wood. But I've tried to get into exercise many times over the years, and have given it good efforts, and it's never "worked". As I've doubtless said here, and I know I've said to friends, nothing comes of it: it takes time and effort, I'm tired and sweaty, and I don't lose weight, clothing doesn't fit better, I don't feel better, my endurance doesn't improve, nothing. Hard to keep doing it! But this time, well.

I haven't lost much weight. I've weighed myself just about weekly since I started, and the number has gone up a little, down a little, nothing much. But! I checked my archives, and it was November 4th when I wrote this:
Also, can you explain how I found a pair of Old Navy corduroy trousers (for $2.99, thank you Savers) in size 18 that fit me, while the ones I found a few visits ago in size 20, also Old Navy, are too small? That's just messed up.
And now, the 20s don't quite want to stay up, and though the 18s are tight, I can wear them. How do you like them apples?

I still don't get why it's working this time, and man am I knocking on wood. I mean, I do still hate doing it. But if there's something to show for it, well! Hello, motivation, nice to meet you! (Speaking of which, the sock is turning the heel. So far, so good!) And to end on a Christmas note, here's the UVM women's hockey team with a Christmas lip-synch that you're be glad you watched.

At least I was. How about those goalies?

No comments:

Post a Comment