Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Short Takes

I've been motoring along on my purse sock this week. I really wanted to finish it before Christmas, because traveling with a just-started sock is preferable to bringing an almost-finished sock (AND a just-started sock). I got a few stripes done at stitch and bitch Monday night, and at my alternate knitting group tonight, I finished it. Check! Pictures to come.

*****
For a flight that departs at 6 AM, wouldn't you think getting to the airport an hour before departure would be enough time? The airline's website says 90 minutes to 2 hours, but surely the airport isn't going to be THAT crazy that early? I find it hard to believe.

*****
I don't leave for another week and a half, and yet somehow I already miss Carlos. I wish I could magically bring him with me. When will teleportation be made available to the public?

*****
There was an article in the Globe this morning, which I only partly read, about how UMass Amherst football, which apparently is now playing at the Patriots' stadium (who knew), has not been drawing the crowds they expected. As I read the beginning of the story, I was thinking it wasn't surprising that fewer people were willing to go to Foxborough (a two-hour drive) than to the stadium on campus, and if I skimmed it right, the numbers went down from near 14,000 to over 10,000, which is a drop, I know, but not all that shocking to me. (On closer reading, it seems that they expected more alumni, who tend to live in the eastern part of the state in higher numbers, to come to games. I repeat, who knew?)

The story lost me, though, when they mentioned something about how, en route to a 1-11 record, the team blah blah blah. Hey, did it ever occur to you that more people might go to games if they were playing better? Radical thought, I'm sure. One and eleven?

*****
The NHL cancelled games through December 30. I really felt the truth of an analogy that Justin Bourne used on Backhand Shelf recently, regarding the NHL lockout shenanigans: the "fans are being used as children would be in a messy divorce". Yes, and what a mess it is.
 
*****
A co-worker was reading a message from his landlord about problems with their water: "...we are hoping to have it restored as soon as possible." No. Wrong. Either "we are hoping to have it restored soon" or "we will have it restored as soon as possible". Not in between.

*****
In a report I recently edited at work, the writer confused "overtime" and "over time". People may work overtime, but drugs work over time... (On the other hand, correctly using "burgeoning paradigm shift" gains points, so to speak.)
 
*****
Favorite quote in a recent NPR story: "Wajeeh Nuseibeh is the church's doorkeeper. In another twist, he is a Palestinian Muslim, whose family has opened and closed the church's heavy wooden doors every day for the past 1,300 years." Blows my mind.
 
*****
Why is that I can be totally understanding of a person not being a hockey fan, or even of being a hockey fan around here but not being a Bruins fan, but if they're a Montreal Canadiens fan, it's suddenly much harder to deal with?
 
*****
I'm no longer carrying water to work. When it was time to replace the water filter in the drinking-water spigot, the person doing it discovered that it had been installed wrong somehow; I don't know the details, just that where it used to take 30+ seconds to fill a glass, it now takes less than five seconds. Boom! I still think it tastes a little flat, but not bad exactly, and I expect I'll get used to it.
 
 *****
The Ott bulb came today. At first I thought it didn't work, but I played with it a little and voila! I can see!

*****
I didn't think I'd really lost much of any weight, but today I kept having to pull my trousers up, so maybe I have lost a little. Not a lot! But a little.

*****
I have to go now: the Bruins are about to win the Stanley Cup, and I'd like to watch. Plus, typing with a Carlos draped over my arm is only fun for so long...

No comments:

Post a Comment