Sunday, September 02, 2012

Not the Usual Sunday Night Itch

Two things are bothering me tonight, which isn't I suppose such a great number, when it's been quite a good day, and tomorrow is a bonus day off (which changes the way a Sunday evening feels tremendously). Yet it's so easy to focus on the bad, isn't it? Particularly when the bad includes that bane of my life, mosquito bites.

As I mentioned yesterday, I killed two mosquitoes that bit me while I was picking raspberries. And two mosquito bites isn't that much, really, but oh, oh how they itch. One is on my upper arm, positioned such that it brushes my torso frequently when I move, and high enough that I switched from a short-sleeved shirt to a sleeveless one earlier today because the rubbing was making it even worse (good thing it's not cold). The red, raised welt is about two inches by an inch, and makes me wish that I had ordered this a week ago. (I ordered it yesterday, but it may not get here before these stop bothering me. I ordered it anyway, because I know there will be more in my life. Unfortunately.)

The other bite is on the side of my hand; imagine giving a cartoon-style hi-YA karate chop, and it's just at the point of impact. It isn't as large or swollen as the other, but if possible it itches more, perhaps because the anatomy of that area provide less room for swelling OUT, and more for pressing-on IN. Whatever the reason, it itches like mad, a good inch in all directions from the center point, and though the anti-itch cream helps a bit, it also washes off every time my hand gets wet. Given that I have done laundry and dishes and other kitchen-work today, and blocked the Tardis shawl, that's a lot of re-applying. Owie owie ow. It's even impairing my knitting: I'm on the second triangle of the Starry Wingspan shawl take 3, but the way I hold the knitting is right against that spot. I keep trying to hold it a different way, and it drifts back to what I'm used. Damned conditioned reflexes.

The other thing bothering me tonight (the two bug bites being the first thing) is a party somewhere in my neighborhood, not close enough to see but absolutely in earshot. I once went to a friend's party that featured a dunk tank, but this party, I'm 99% certain, has instead one of those 'test your strength' machines like they have at carnivals. And either the party is full of strong people, or the machine is not hard to beat. For the last few hours, I've been hearing repeated DINGs*, followed by appreciative crowd noises, over and over. Voices and music and now it sounds like arguing, come on, give it up already, don't let this be an all-night party.
*Kind of like the sound of a car pulling into a gas station, but getting a cheer for it

It's been a good day. I've gotten a lot done, without feeling like it's been all work. But the itching and the dinging are pretty annoying, each in their way.

Of course, if I look around, I can find something to make me smile. Or more accurately, someone.
The baby.

Now, if you will excuse me, I will go back for more itch cream, and maybe some of the chicken salad I made earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment