Saturday, September 22, 2012

Licensed Shopping and Needles

Last Sunday, I was reading a story in the Globe that mentioned how the registry doesn't send out license renewal reminders any more, which I knew, but it suddenly struck me: isn't this the year I do have to renew mine? I checked and yes, it is. Good thing I was indirectly reminded! I went ahead and put a reminder on my calendar for five years from now, so I don't leave it too late next time (though next time, I may be able to do it online, which is easier; I couldn't this time because I did last time, and they want you to come in every now and then). So this morning, I toddled off to one of the AAA branches that performs registry services, and it was a piece of cake: I barely had to wait, the vision test was simple, I got my picture taken and paid my bill and boom, done. Bullet dodged.

As long as I was there, I went into a Paper Store that's in the same plaza, since I can't resist the lure of Hallmark-type giftie things. Not just the cards, but all the Stuff. To my surprise, they had a really good selection of Bruins (and other local teams) gear. All sorts of things! I was perusing the area when an employee asked if I needed any help, and I said no, I was just a hockey fan in mourning doing some retail therapy. She said brightly, "You're the second one today!" Kind of a funny idea, that we're all wandering lost.

I only bought two things: a magnet from the Cup season, which was 75% off for some reason, and earrings:
But I also liked this shirt quite a lot. Simple and to the point.

If I didn't already have about six Bruins t-shirts, I might have bought it. And if I happened to be a fan of more than one sport, I would have loved this one, which brings all sorts of Boston sports moments together:
Another shirt I didn't get, not sports related:
And while we're talking snark, I also liked this sign:
I love my family, but that's us, all right. And speaking of family, I thought of my aunt when I saw a new entry in the Keep Calm line.
I think we're close to the point when there will be a Keep Calm for everyone. In fact, I did a search on etsy, and there are over 15,000 results, so I guess we're about there, right?

That's it from the Paper Store, but I also hit Barnes and Noble on a calendar quest recently (last year I left it too late, and the selection was distinctly lacking). I wanted a small wall calendar for work, a page-a-day for work and one for home, and a wall calendar or two for home.

I got this Wild Cats one for home:
How gorgeous are they, right? Click on the photo to see it bigger.
I didn't buy this calendar, though it greatly amused me.
See what is says at the top? "This calendar isn't really about CATS but I hear those sell better." I thought about it, but in the end I couldn't resist Dave Barry. Classic.

For a little wall one for work, I chose one called Islands. I did not get this one:
Although we do have a running corgi joke at work. But for the page-a-day I got this one, also the subject of a running joke:
Maybe you have to work there, but trust me, we will get a lot of jokes out of Bacon a Day. :)

I bought one non-calendar while I was there. I've been looking for something to keep my knitting contained on the couch, more solidly than a project bag, since those aren't quite working. This is perfect!
It's sort of heavy-paper-weight, not wood or anything, but it feels sturdy, not at all flimsy.
If only my initial was an H.
And the fittings feel solid and real.
Can't show you the inside, since there's secret knitting in it, but one day I'll show you that, too. It's working just as I wanted it to, and I like it. Winner!

That's it for the shopping report, or at least all I took pictures of (a few things are boring and a few things are presents, actually). No one wants to see my new bath towel, do they? It's a sort of dark royal blue shade, Ralph Lauren, $6 at Ocean State ... even I'm not that excited. Pleased, sure, but not camera-excited.

In a health update, aka Oh My Head: If you've ever read here before, you know I get headaches. Plenty of them, sometimes nearer the "disruptive but functional" end of the scale and sometimes, unfortunately, hitting square on the "moaning, clutching my head, and wanting to die, now please" end. And while I haven't tried everything, because the fun* thing about migraines is that there are a million things that MIGHT help, I've tried a lot, large and small. I have tried cutting out caffeine, and I've tried consuming regular amounts of caffeine. I saw a neurologist for several years, and we tried a variety of daily, preventive medications and in-case-of medications, both prescription and OTC. I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I try my damnedest to get enough sleep. And still they come.
*Yeah, fun. The motto of migraine treatment might as well be It All Depends. It's maddening.

A year or two ago, my mother and I were talking about it, and specifically about my trying some of the less-traditional-medicine possibilities out there. Acupuncture, chiropractor, hypnosis? I'll give anything a chance. I did contact a woman that a friend recommended, but her schedule and location thwarted easy outside-my-work-hours access (this was when I was back at the company that had laid me off in 2008, working as a temp). Then I moved on to last year's job, and wanted to see what my new health insurance might cover. I looked into it a little, but never actually took the step. Last fall, I said that once I survived Christmas, I would Do It. Then I got laid off in January, and it slipped right down the list of priorities again.

Now that I'm employed again (again), and since I've been getting too many headaches lately, I am finally getting around to it. It turns out that this health insurance doesn't cover acupuncture like it would a doctor's visit, but I do get 25% off, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as they say. And there's a practitioner in the town where I live, how much more convenient does it get?

I have the introductory meeting next week. It may not help a bit, or it may be a Turning Point I look back on in years to come; we'll see. For that matter, we'll see how the initial appointment goes, since its start time of 7:30 is before I'm usually fully awake. I mean, I'm driving to work at 7:30, so I am that much awake, but in terms of cognition... We'll see. Wish me well!
Finally, does anyone have any information about Nashville, TN? Visited there, lived there, heard of it? Not for me, but I'm curious about it for someone else. Is it cool? Fun? Weird? Does it feel like the South? Anything you've got, I'll take it, in a comment or an e-mail (ccrinma at hotmail dot com). Thanks ever so! 

1 comment:

  1. I need me a pair of those Bruins earrings! Beth keeps advising me to see a chiropractor for my migraines, although given that mine seems to be stress/hormone/weather related, it might not help me much.

    ReplyDelete