Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Points to Ponder: Holiday Cards; Indolence

I mailed my first Christmas cards today, which got me wondering where I fall on the general Holiday Card Scale. (Not to be confused with the Christmas Card Scoring System, though that amuses me mightily.)

In the middle, is where I figure. I received my first card on November 30th, from a lovely and overachieving friend who does not need as much sleep as I do. I make an effort (not a heavy-duty effort, to be honest) to get the cards out to the people I'll be spending the holiday with before I see them, then get the rest done as I can. My feeling is, I don't mind getting cards after the 25th, and I doubt anyone else does (though Swistle's Scoring marks off for it), so I'm not going to worry about that. But I don't think that my mother, for example, should get home from spending the holiday with me, and find my card waiting for her. It seems silly somehow. So those go first.

What about you? Do you send cards? Paper or electronic? Photo or not? Do you keep a list? Track what comes in, or have some other system? Hang them on the wall? Have any other thoughts you'd like to share with the class?

If you don't want to talk about cards, how about this? I get daily quotation e-mails from The Happiness Project, just for the fun of it, and usually either I like them or I'm neutral. Today's I disliked, though.
"Indolence is a delightful but distressing state: we must be doing something to be happy."
— William Hazlitt
What do you think? Maybe I'd like it better if we agree that it depends on how you define "doing something." Or perhaps on how you define "Indolence." What's your take?

3 comments:

  1. Cards? I'm basically "meh" on cards. I'll send one to a friend in FL, one to a sweet lady who always sends me one and that's about it for paper cards. I've sent electronic ones in the past but since I discontinued by Blue Mountain paid subscription I can't get the dang site to work for me...

    Would someone please tell William Hazlitt that sometimes "doing nothing" but dreaming while rubbing the belly of a cat, while it might seem like nothing, is really doing a lot. It's called recharging your internal storage units of love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do keep a list of unexpected cards so that we can reciprocate the following year. I just ordered our picture cards (seems a requirement once you have a baby), and it will probably take me a week to get them all addressed.

    Let me tell you the best part of my day. When Simon takes a nap, I curl up in bed under the covers and stare at the ceiling. Sometimes I sleep, but usually I daydream about things in the past, plans for the future, etc. My mind needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have NO cards to date, unless you count the one my insurance agent sent me. (I think not.) I hope to get some written this year myself!

    BTW, I actually like the cards that shed glitter. :)

    ReplyDelete