Monday, June 16, 2008

Is there a scale scale?

Do you have any advice on buying a trustworthy scale? How can I get one that's reliable? It doesn't even have to be perfectly accurate, if it would only be consistent!

I don't care so much for myself, to be honest. I've never been a person who weighs herself regularly, as I can generally tell by the fit of my clothes how the wind blows. For more than a year now, though, I've been weighing myself every 2 weeks or so, first by myself and then holding Pan, so that I can keep an eye on his weight and make sure he doesn't lose too much (which is Bad News for a kitty with a heart condition).

After I'd been doing this for a little while, I came to the conclusion that I didn't trust the scale, because the thing would give me a couple of different numbers if I tried a couple of times. My charming parents bought me a new one when they were in town this time last year, and I've been using it ever since. Lately, I've been disturbed that I can (again?) get a couple of different numbers by stepping on and off, but I wasn't sure how to be sure, if you know what I mean.

This week, though, it's saying he's gained 3 pounds in two weeks, and I Do Not Believe That. There's no way. So I'm going to get a new scale, but how do I know what's a good one and what's another bad one? Or have I worn it out in a year, and it's just dying?

I don't really believe that. Do you? Any scale advice?

3 comments:

  1. I have no scale advice. You already know. They lie. And they lie inconsistently. i weight myself most every morning, totally starkers. As per instructions, I tap the scale with my toe in the middle of the red dot, wait for it to re-zero, and step on. I wait a few seconds for it to register a # and step off. Then I repeat it twice more. If the last 2 numbers match, I count it as the # of the day. I keep going until I can get 2 #s (not necessarily consecutive because I do have to get to work at some point!) to match.

    I am within 3 pounds of what I weigh at the doctors office with clothes on (usually) after breakfast or lunch. I doubt I will get any better than that without spending mega-bucks for a truly accurate scale.

    I wonder if Consumer Reports has anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went through several scales before we found one that was FINALLY consistent. Like, if you weigh yourself three times in a row, it gives you the exact same reading each time. It wasn't even that expensive.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I33TR0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest a baby scale. They measure to the (half-)ounce, and they should be accurate. Don't know how much they cost, though.

    ReplyDelete