Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oh, to talk about England...

Eight loads of laundry in an afternoon feels like quite a lot.

Sorting through, Snapfishing, captioning, and sharing my photos with friends and family is a lot!

I'm rather tired.

But! I must show and tell you England before I forget what it was like (or before you lose interest). Indeed, I want to tell you; it's just that being so tired and sleeping so much have cut into my leisure time something fierce. No matter! Here we go!

Actually, first let me say, more pictures will pop up in future. I have funny signs, flowers, and other random photos that aren't quite first run, but don't deserve to be left in the dark, either. But this should be the highlight reel. Ready? Remember that if you want to see any picture bigger, click on it. Go!

My good, good friend met me at the airport Friday morning at an hour my mother calls oh-god-hundred. She is a good friend. (She doesn't even live near the airport. This is a good friend, and I would say so even if she didn't read my blog. Hi!) From there, we drove South-South-East-ish, into Kent, toward the school where we met, lo, these many moons ago (September, 1986). Isn't it pretty?



We drove around the towns we remember visiting on Saturday afternoons: Biddenden, Tenterden, Cranbrook. We saw a very, very small car.


We went into Rye, which I at least do not remember visiting, but which was charming, and not just the ice cream (although that was good, but it wasn't even the best of the trip).



Mid-afternoon, we both had crashing energy levels, so we found the B&B where we were to spend the night, and each were happy to unpack and nap a bit before dinner-time. It's great to agree on such a plan! And there was a bunny in the garden (the first of three I saw during this trip).


Dinner was at a local pub, the Red Lion in Biddenden, and was delicious (though I'm glad not to have seen the saddle of rabbit, as I was not able to contemplate that on the menu without rather disturbing Bugs Bunny images crossing my mind). I did try the treacle tart for dessert, and it was lovely. Yay for being slightly adventurous!

It was the next morning, before the actual event, the Seniors* Day for which I had timed my trip as I did, that we had the best ice cream, and I don't just mean of the trip. It was creamier than anything I ever tasted, and absolutely worth crossing the Atlantic for. I also had pear juice, which turned out to be from a farm in town. Local, indeed!

*My fellow Americans: for Seniors, think Alumni, and for Seniors Day, think Reunion. Roughly comparable.

Why do you suppose he wears reflective gear, in broad daylight, on the sidewalk?


Certainly a pretty part of the world, no?


Seniors Day was amazing. Just seeing the school again 20 years later was such fun. A lot has changed, of course, but the essential building is just the same as I remember it.



I mentioned royalty: Princess Anne was speaking. Here she comes:


The current students were very excited.


And there she is (left of center, white top and dark skirt).


Lunch in the Hall:


The new Chapel window (I knew you'd want to see that):


She was quite a good speaker, actually. Very relaxed, and it was interesting to be part of a group she referred to as "we". Quite the experience. I'm glad I went.


When I first saw this sign, I thought it said "...in the world", so I was glad when a second glance revealed that they were not so far-reaching in their claims.


Isn't it pretty?


All right, who ordered the hot-air balloon? Isn't that a bit much? Who's going to believe that?


Well, anyway. Next day, Shakespeare's birthplace. Welcome to Stratford!


Indeed, welcome to England!


I wish this was my local library.


My favorite modern feature of Stratford: they tell you how many spots are open in nearby parking lots. How helpful!


What would you say: pretty as a picture?


How about this one?


Wait, now: are those reactors? Seems out of place.


And this building gives Boston City Hall a run for its money in the ugly category!


London: charming!


More small cars. I don't know that I'd like to drive it, but I'd like to park it! I hear that they're so short it's legal to park them nose-in to the curb, but I didn't see one that way.


Water near Camden Market:


What lock is it?


Oh, thank you:


See, there's small, and there's don't be ridiculous:


Here's where I knew it was time to come home:


Anyone still with me? Do you feel I used any restraint? I promise I did! But now even I'm worn out with England photos. Perhaps I will manage to talk about something else next time!

3 comments:

  1. A quick trip to England was the PERFECT way to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - show us some more please because you did NOT bore at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - show us some more please because you did NOT bore at all.

    ReplyDelete