Friday, April 13, 2007

What now?

I got in trouble around about junior high (no, not that kind of trouble!) for putting off schoolwork that I didn't want to do, so I pretended that it didn't exist. La la la, current events, report, what's that? Boom. That strategy did not work so well for me, and it's a lesson I learned pretty well, but from time to time I can still be an ostrich when I feel something bad blowing in the wind.

My baby, Pan:


has a heart condition. He is symptom-free, except for a heart murmur that the vet claims to be able to hear but I couldn't tell was anything other than a sound like a seashell held up to my ear. He takes medication that I can call treats because he loves Pill Pockets, thank god. And boy, does he know what the word "treat" means! And that's about it.

Except that he's losing weight. In the last year, he's lost about 10% of his body weight. Now, he was overweight to begin with ... but still. And it may be caused by the heart condition, or it may be caused by something else (oh, jeez).

And, the way to find out is a blood test, which involves taking him to the vet, which stresses him, and guess what a kitty with a heart condition is supposed to avoid the most?

The vet is talking about giving him a sedative. I think I'll need one too.

So much for yesterday's storm, by the way. The weather wasn't nice: now it's snowing, now it's sleeting, now it's raining. But the big snow never came. As close as they come to predicting the actual weather most of the time, the forecasters might as well be throwing chicken bones on an altar. (Of course, maybe they are. It would explain a lot.)

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem with my cat losing weight, and it took us awhile to find the problem: hyperthyroidism.

    http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyperthyroidism.html

    I treat her condition with pills. She is very thin and wasting away, but the pills really do help and I regret foolishly taking her off them when I thought she had begun to do well.

    ReplyDelete