Friday, April 27, 2007

La pluie (sound like phooey)

The irony is this: now that everything is blooming and blossoming and allergening* out all over, the lovely 70-to-90-degree oh-fabulous-thank-god weather we had for about 4 or 5 whole days in a row is gone. Done. Over. Monday was perfect, Tuesday still very, very nice. Wednesday was in the 50s and in the afternoon it started raining, as if some people still don't have lakes in their front yards (not me, actually, I'm feeling other people's pain for a moment, unusually enough) from the deluges of earlier in the month. We've had enough rain! Enough below-seasonal temperatures! It should be salad and lovely strolling weather and here I am still mainlining Oreos and having ice cream for dinner! I'll never fit into my shorts this summer if this keeps up.

*This is the real irony. You know how much, how desperately I've been waiting for, longing for Spring to arrive, and for Winter to leave already, just Go Away, just GO.

Did you know I have allergies?

I think this is why my tail has been dragging so badly this week. There's no real reason for me to be unearthly tired otherwise, and things are certainly blooming and blossoming everywhere right now, which fills me with delight (when the sun is out) and the air with allergens all at the same time. I do know that Life Isn't Fair, but what a whammy, eh? The event that makes me so happy knocks me for a loop at the same time. Let's just add "find an allergist" to the To-Do list that is already so long it has me grinding my teeth in my sleep, shall we?


I studied French in school (hold on, this will make sense in a minute). I could remember that "it rains" is "il pleut", but I couldn't remember the word for rain, so I looked it up this morning. "La pluie". Makes sense, actually, as the French word for umbrella is "parapluie". Literally, "for rain". Makes a lot more sense than "umbrella", eh? What does that mean, anyway? (No, I'm not going to look it up. I'm depressed, remember?)

All of which is to say, it's raining again. Not still: it didn't actually rain yesterday. But it rains today. Il pleut aujordhui. Comme toujours, is how it feels. As I said to someone at work today, it's raining for the 800th day this year.

Of course, if this keeps up, summer may never get here, do you think? Forget global warming, I'm starting to think global seasonal screw-up is what it should have been called.

1 comment:

  1. Your command of the French language far exceeds my own. I like hanging out with people who offer vicarious fluency in other languages, even when the translation doesn't make the weather feel any better.

    The phooey I can particularly relate to!

    ReplyDelete