Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Yeah, Yeah, I Voted

Sigh. I know, civic duty and the price of freedom and the power of democracy and all that. All I can say is that it left me feeling like "at least that's over" rather than anything more positive. Like this, from Facebook:
Actually, one positive is that the calls will stop, the ads will stop, the flyers will stop coming. Government can settle down and figure out what it's doing, hopefully. And I get a break from all that nonsense. The Bruins games have even had ads--and some were for New Hampshire races! I'll be glad to get back to the usual, equally stupid but not political, ads tonight.

One of my colleagues was all excited about the process. She wore her democracy outfit (a blue dress with red on it, and red belt and shoes and lipstick), and had someone take her I-voted picture. I don't know, I'm not saying she shouldn't be excited, but I'm not saying I should be, either. I look at it like the flu shot: something I should do, and I did. Done. Hopefully the voting won't leave a painful aftereffect like the flu shot did. (Yeah, my arm is still sore.)

 Unrelated, but also good to share: a realistic map showing how the oh-my-god-ebola-panic actually relates to Africa (thank you, Boing Boing).
Be sure to click on it and make it big enough to read the small print: it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a Democracy outfit!! A rapper I've never heard of (L'il Jon?) didn't get his absentee ballot in time, so he flew cross-country today so he could vote. THAT is dedication, especially for a mid-term!

    (I, myself, am wearing my "I Voted Today" sticker at work, partly because hell yeah I voted, and partly to remind people to GO VOTE. MIDTERMS ARE IMPORTANT.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted - big whoop. Of course in the two races that really mattered to me my candidates didn't win but one (Falchuk) at least got enough votes that we have another Independent Party certified in MA. Maybe next time...

    And don't count on the flyers and ads stopping. It's "only" two years until the next cycle and politics is "big business" so it won't stop. Maybe it'll slow down for a bit, but I'm afraid elections cycles have become like our wars - never ending.

    ReplyDelete