Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Busy, Busy, Busy

(If you grew up in the US and are my-age-or-so, you may have grown up with the same holiday specials I did: if so, did you read the headline and think of Professor Hinkle in Frosty the Snowman? I loved all those animated specials, as ridiculous [and sometimes problematic] as they seem to me now.)

I am (we are) in the middle of Such A Week. Some of it mine and some Mom's, some medical and some not, but whew.

On Sunday I had lunch with a few friends, which was very nice though the restaurant was rather loud (inside; outside would have been better, but there was a wait). As more snowbirds arrive, the group gets bigger and meets more often, yay!

Monday, Mom had PT, and then we went to her pain doctor. Monday night, there was a welcome-back event for a different group of friends, and while also very nice, it was also rather loud (a dozen and a half people all talking at once will do that). The hostess has been working on redoing the condo for several years now, thanks to the pandemic and supply slowdowns, but it's looking gorgeous so far, and does it have a view!




Tuesday, we actually had nothing! (Other than me working, that is.) The only quiet day. We did go out to dinner, which is a little bit of a production these days, but worth it. Good food and leftovers!

This morning I had the chiropractor, and Mom had PT again. Tonight I zoomed with a few knitting friends.

Thursday, we go to see her primary doctor. He wants to see how she's doing, and she wants to discuss how much trouble her shoulder* is giving her: it seems she may have messed it up when she fell, but the hip and leg were so bad she didn't realize how much. Now that the hip area is (slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y) improving, she's noticing it more.** We want to hit Trader Joe's while we're up that way, and then hopefully will have the energy to go out to dinner again.

*This is the shoulder she had replaced in the spring of 2022, that needed to be operated on again last December when a screw shifted and was pressing into the nerve, ow ow ow.
**Which probably means more tests will be needed, but sufficient unto the week is the overscheduledness thereof.

Friday* morning I have my annual mammogram, ugh. Then we see the surgeon again, and though he said 2 weeks ago that he expected to have an X-ray tech in the office by now, they called today to say not yet, so we have to go in elsewhere to get her X-rayed before the appointment. Sigh. It means getting up pretty early for Mom--I mean, me too, but I am more used to it--but we should have time in between to go in to Costco, and we do have a list, so, we'll make it work. I'm hoping I'll have enough energy left after all that to get my flu and covid shots, which I have been wanting to get done for, oh, two months. Boy, have the last few months been crazy.

*I took a vacation day for Friday--work hasn't been too crazy since the month-end of October went by, but there are limits to how much flexing the schedule will take.

But wait, the week isn't done: in addition to my getting my usual haircut on Saturday, Mom is getting her first one since July. Is she ever looking forward to looking more like her usual self. She likes it short, and it just doesn't look like her when it's this long. So that will be a good thing, but I may not do another thing all day.

9 comments:

  1. That's a lot for all at once! I'm hoping your Costco has motorized wheelchairs like ours does? Best wishes to your mom with it all, and you, too, and for an easy and quick take with the mammogram, and recovery from the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, C, this is an insane week! You're so busy. Also, I don't know if you hear this much, but wow, are you a good daughter. You are so devoted and a really great caretaker. More people should strive to be like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of the reasons I moved down here was to be here if/when Mom needed me, and she sure does right now. It's kind of exhausting, but it's easier to arrange things from here than it would be to do it remotely.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I remember that voice from the animated Christmas special. LOL!

    So much going on. Let's hope that this week is an anomaly, and that you have far less to do after it. That's a LOT of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems to be happening at once! So far, next week looks less crazy, and I hope it stays that way. Then my brother will be here and we can all relax together. I hope.

      Delete
  4. That sunset!! (Imagine me taking a 30 second break to close my eyes and imagine a beach. And an ocean. And then coming back to the reality of 40 degrees.)

    Fingers crossed that all these appointments go well, healing is done quickly, and this week of insanity (THE TIME CHANGE *glares darkly*) doesn't repeat any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did just all have to be the week the time changed, right? Which reminds me, I need to put a note on the week after we spring forward to not make evening plans.

      Delete
  5. Whew -- that IS busy. I am glad you have some fun stuff mixed in among the not-so-fun. Your friend's ocean views are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view was amazing. The only reason I don't covet it more is that when your condo faces the water, you're not allowed to have any lights showing at night during sea turtle nesting season, which takes away months of use from the lanai after dark, and I wouldn't like that. But I loved visiting it!

      Delete