Monday, September 11, 2023

Overpromising

I admit to being a little obsessive about tracking packages when I order something. I like to follow along and see that it's making progress toward me! But let me tell you, it makes me crazy when companies overpromise on the delivery date.

I ordered something last Sunday, September 3, and as soon as they had created the label, it said it would be delivered on September 10th. On a Sunday, that's weird, I thought; but it didn't waver all week (though the tracking didn't update between leaving California and arriving in Florida).

As late as Sunday morning, it was still saying delivery date "today"--though, as it had just arrived in Jacksonville, which is the whole height of Florida away from me, I was skeptical. Sure enough, later on Sunday it noted that there was a "delay" and the date would be changed when they knew more. Mmm hmm. So complicated to figure out the whole "put it on a truck and drive south" concept, isn't it.

So this morning, that's Monday, it said it would now be delivered on Wednesday. Wednesday! Jacksonville may not be close, but it's not THAT far away. Good grief. A package leaving Jacksonville Sunday night* should be delivered on Tuesday.

*The tracking said it left Sunday night at 10:27pm. But this afternoon, it said it also left today at 12:53pm, so I honestly have no idea what's going on.

Humph. We'll see when the damned thing shows up. It's such a first world problem, I know. But I sure wish they had said Wednesday originally; I would feel very differently about the process if they had.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been able to be the person who is organized enough to track packages. It's just always a surprise when it shows up! My husband, on the other hand, is definitely more of a tracker. I'm envious of you organized people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you watch Looney Tunes cartoons? Where Bugs Bunny or the coyote would order something from Acme, drop an envelope in a mailbox, then the delivery van would whip up and give them the item? That's me, waiting for deliveries.

      Delete
  2. I have noticed that when I order from Colourmart in England, they now use Royal Mail tracking. I have packages that come at random times no matter what USPS promises and it drives me nuts, too, just say when it's going to be, guys--but when Royal Mail emails me that it's in my local office it shows up that day even though it was not on the list of things USPS said would come. They clearly genuflect to Royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know- this would be so much less irritating if they were just honest about it in the first place! My problem now is that I order so much from Amazon, which arrives within two days, everything else seems REALLY long. I have to remind myself that five days or a week isn't really that long to have something delivered from across the country!

    ReplyDelete