Friday, September 08, 2023

Who's Confused?

I noticed this in an email from Audible, and thought they had me confused with someone else:

Sports & Outdoors? Me? But then I saw this in the app:


And I realized that, yes, hockey! I had been listening to The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL recently (subtitle: The World's Most Beautiful Sport, the World's Most Ridiculous League), and that is, of course, sports (though not outdoors, these days). It's also a great book if you are or know a hockey fan, and he reads the audio himself and does a great job.

Anyway, mystery solved. On to the next one, where I saw this in the small format that Feedly gives, and thought, wait, is the OUP blog writing about knitting? Because that looks like a shawl:

And even still when I clicked on it and it was a little larger.

Alas, no, though. Here's the full web page size:


Possibly a ceiling? I still think it looks like knitting, though.

But can you trust me? I glanced in the direction of this photo:


And then did a double-take as I checked that, no, the local Walgreens doesn't carry bear spray. Well, or if they do, they aren't advertising it.

And I also looked quickly at this headline from the Publishers Weekly email:

"Amazon and Madeline McIntosh Address AI, In Their Own Ways"

And I thought, wait, Madeline Tosh? Like the yarn? In PW?

A lot of confusion here lately, is what I'm saying. Anything confused you recently?

6 comments:

  1. Ha! We have a family share account for all our streaming services, and every time I get an email saying "Nicole, you might like this" it's so funny. It's pretty much always the opposite of something I might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend once shared a streaming service with someone who had little kids, and it was always recommending things to her that were for the kids! I guess you have to be patient with that if you're going to share.

      Delete
  2. Since I never log into Netflix, my "suggestions" list is always just foreign documentaries. *shrug* I won't watch those, either, but I like that I'm mysterious to Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have thought that was a knitted shawl before the photo was enlarged. It looks like a beautiful ceiling and kind of reminds of the Alhambra in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that sort of thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that in the photo.

      Delete