Monday, August 09, 2021

Yarn Shopping, In-Person and Otherwise

On Saturday, I was running some errands that had me passing my nearest yarn store, and decided to stop in (masked, of course) and see how things were going. Mysteriously, this store has done virtually no promotion during the pandemic; I think they might have sent one email? or two? over the last year and a half. I couldn't tell you how they are still in business.

But they are, although the store is a bit smaller than it was (literally: they used to have two storefronts and now they have one), and it turns out they had a lot of yarn on sale, even. (Again, why not email about this? encourage people to come in?) Including Sugar Bush Yarns, which is apparently going out of business; this is sad, as their yarns are very nice, but it meant the store had a good sale, and, well, you can see where I'm going with this.

Bliss (Ravelry link) is merino with silk and cashmere, and feels just as good as you would imagine.

There was one ball left of this lovely cobalt blue, 30% off.

And the store had a few colors left in bag quantity at an even better discount, $66 for the 10 balls, from $111 originally.

I think the blue will make a nice accent to the grey--sorry, platinum color. No, I don't know exactly what I'll be making with it. You know how I roll.

I do have an idea of a pattern to use on the yarn I showed here a few weeks ago (and then never followed up on, nor put them into my stash on Ravelry, hmmm, goofing off with a book instead, no doubt). These are the two colorways that Indigodragonfly came up with to fund-raise for the Yarn Harlot's team in the PWA Bike Rally (more details here and here). I ordered them on MerGoat Sock, which is merino with cashmere and nylon, and is wonderful.

The colorways are named The Shrieking Wheels:

And Tire Swamp.

I wanted a pattern that would show them off well together, and a knitting friend is making a shawl called Right Around the Corner (Ravelry link) that I think will do nicely. We'll see, once I decide that the Wavedeck shawl is big enough to call done. I don't think I showed you it from when I put it on a longer needle to spread it out:

That was a couple of weeks ago, and I'm continuing on. I still have plenty of yarn left; at some point I'll spread it out again and decide if it's time to make the call. No rush.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! So glad you went in there and got some great yarn. Have a great time playing with it!

    ReplyDelete