Sunday, March 14, 2021

Thinking about reading, and blogging

As you may have noticed, I haven't been blogging a whole lot lately; not near my usual pace, anyway. I just don't feel drawn to it the way I used to.  

Reading, though, I have been doing a lot more of. I've read about half as many books this year as I did all of last year. Interestingly, to me at least, is that it's been almost exclusively sci-fi and fantasy books. There are a number of reasons why that might be, and I don't know which or how many of them are true, but I do find it interesting.

My clear favorite so far, as I mentioned, is Winter's Orbit, by Everina Maxwell; I also very much enjoyed Winterkeep, by Kristin Cashore (you want to have read the previous books in the series), and The Return of Fitzroy Angursell, by Victoria Goddard (which, again, you really want to have read The Hands of the Emperor first), and of course Fugitive Telemetry, by Martha Wells, about which I will go into detail next month, when it is published. Lots of good reading happening.

A friend of mine is putting together a zoom book club for a whole group of people, some I know and some I don't*, and though my only past book club experience was not a positive one, I am willing to give it a try. We're having a kickoff meeting today.

*I imagine that to her, it's like the time my brother threw a party, invited people he knew from all different areas of his life, and looking around, realized that for a lot of them, he was the only thing they had in common. Which can be fun, I would think!

Meanwhile, there's more of this on my horizon:

I got one order in last week, the Community Matters colorways for January from Kim Dyes Yarn, which are lovely:
Oddly enough, this one is not in Ravelry, though many of her yarns are; it's called Cheesecake DK, and is 50-50 merino and silk. Mmm.

I have a few orders out there: one that is lost, hopefully not permanently, in the ether of the Postal Service, and two others that should be on their way shortly, and I look forward to showing them to you when the times come.

1 comment:

  1. That mauve is definitely inviting to the eyes and hands in particular.

    Good luck with your book club!

    I tried one awhile ago and felt there was a clique I was late to the party to and wasn't quite succeeding at breaking into. I think the women, all good people, would have been horrified had they known it felt like that to me, and that thought was a comfort.

    ReplyDelete