Monday, February 22, 2021

Book Teaser: Winter's Orbit

I don't remember where I heard about Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell, but given that the cover has a blurb by Martha Wells, that recommendation was probably what brought it to my attention, though it might also have been from the Tor blog via the newsletter. 

What is it? It's a new book, it's sci-fi, and it's the author's first. It sounded good (read an excerpt here), so I requested it from the library, and it came in last week. 

I love it. LOVE it. Will-have-to-buy-my-own-copy love it. Already-bought-the-audio love it. I started reading it a second time the day after I finished it (the now that I know what happened, oh that guy is lying read), but I also keep hopping around re-reading certain scenes. I keep thinking about it, even when I'm not reading it.

The two main characters, Kiem and Jainan, are so different, I love them both, and I was fascinated by how well she shows, not just how each of them thinks of himself, but how each of them is seen by the other (spoiler alert: very different!)

The world-building is very complex, and given that there are seven planets in the Empire, it's a lot to get hold of, places and people and relationships. I think the audio will help me a lot there; I often find that to be the case with sci-fi and fantasy, especially with naming styles that I can't parse easily. But I love it just the same.

Author's website, which does have a content warning for domestic abuse, FYI. 

1 comment:

  1. There's a certain echo of Venus de Milo in that planet placement.

    Sounds like a good book, thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete