Wednesday, February 17, 2021

A Strangeness of GMail

I've used GMail for my email for many years, and have mostly been pleased with it, or perhaps satisfied is a better word. It works. But once in a while, it does something odd and inexplicable.

I frequently will 'star' messages in my inbox so that they don't get lost in the shuffle: bills that need to be paid, other things to follow up on, and links that I want quick access to. Several of these are for my regular Zoom-knitting meetups, which is why I want them there.

However.

One of these messages, which does appear as starred in the inbox on the computer, does not come up that way on my phone or the iPad. If I search for the message, I can find it, and it shows the star and says Inbox, but if I go to the starred section, it ain't there. 

At this moment, I have 8 starred messages when I look on the computer, but 7 if I look on either device.

I am baffled.

One possibly related bit of additional weirdness: I usually have the computer inbox set to show the top 5 of these messages, and when it's set that way, it says I have 7 (which does not and should not include the message in question, as that is older). But if I tell it to display 10, then it says I have 8.

Even so. Baffled.

Any ideas? Because I am stumped.

1 comment:

  1. I often--not always--have to wait till morning if I take a picture on my iPhone and want to send it to my gmail so that I can copy it and put it on my blog.

    I am told by the resident geeks that the reason why is because Apple and Google are not always the best of friends. I'm also told that if I upgraded my phone I could send it straight to my Mac, but that's a whole lot of money I don't want to spend at the moment while the old phone is otherwise peachy fine for me.

    So the answer for you may lie between those two companies, is my guess.

    ReplyDelete