Thursday, October 06, 2016

Printer Woes, Possibly Resolved

I think I have finally, kinda-sorta-half-assedly, fixed gotten around the can't-print problem. Maybe. I don't want to be overconfident.

I have been trying almost daily for the past week or two to print, since all this year, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it has been consistently not working. The other day, I was poking at the printer and went into the wrong menu, and it told me to connect the cord before I proceeded. I thought, "No, that's not what I ... wait ... cord? If the printer isn't working wirelessly, could I just connect a cord and be done with it?"

The short answer was no, or at least only half. To start. (And not the half I thought, either.)

What I did was order a cord, which came today. I hooked it up, sent a print job, and it informed me that the printer was offline. WTF! I looked at it from the printer side, and it looks like I would be able to scan and send to the computer, which I do want to be able to do, but not as much as I want to print, so argh grr etc.

After some deep breathing, I went into the settings on the computer to look at the list of printers, and lo and behold:
It thinks there are two printers, for some reason I cannot fathom, and the jobs were going to the WS version (which I decided stands for "What? Shit!"). When I sent a print job to the other version, it just ... printed. It's amazing.

I did try printing with the new cord unplugged, and it didn't work, so apparently I didn't even waste my $5.99. And it's a nice bright blue, so it will stand out from the forty-eleven black cords snaking all over the desk.

Therefore, with fingers crossed, knocking on wood, throwing salt over my left shoulder, and so on, I will say that maybe my printing woe days are over. For now. Hopefully.

Though I did try scanning, and it won't. It doesn't give an error message, you just get to the point where it should scan and it thinks about it for a bit, then suggests you put in a document, and repeats. It isn't actually scanning. Sigh. Just can't win some days.

~~~~~
In other news, I had another thought about the possible cause of my awful stomach upset this week, when I put two and two together last night. About a week and a half earlier, I started taking Zyrtec for my allergies; they're always worse for me in the fall than in the spring, but this year the sinus pressure and throat congestion got annoying enough that I decided to try something else (I already take Flonase for allergies).

It isn't supposed to bother the stomach that much, but I stopped taking it anyway, in case it was causing the problems, and whether it was or whether the medicine I got helped, the situation is much improved today. Hopefully by tomorrow I won't even be burping so much. Unfortunately, the sinus pressure is noticeable again, but I'm not interested in trying the Zyrtec again until after my trips. Let's not tempt fate!

And speaking of trips, I leave tomorrow for the weekend, so I won't be back for a few days. I hope to return with pretty pictures and, perhaps, lighthearted or funny stories. Nothing awful, oh please, she said to the fates if they were listening. Please let this be a fun distraction of a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment