Monday, February 01, 2016

Revisiting the Slow-and-Steady, Pre-pre-pre-Move Purging

I've written a few times about how I am trying, ahead of my intended move to Florida sometime in the next few years, to try to clean up and purge a bit around here, preemptively. Some more progress has been made, I am happy to say. Specifically:
  • I did in fact give the smurfs to my friend with the kids, and they apparently played with them for at least two days straight, so that's good news on both sides.
  • I decided that as I hated riding the exercise bike so much, and I haven't ridden it since being laid off last summer, and I have started swimming for exercise instead, I could just get rid of the damned thing already and stop looking at it, and having it take up space in my living room as well as space on my mind. So I put it on Freecycle this morning, and someone came and took it this afternoon. Yay!
  • I have been sorting through books more, and I have several small bags to donate and a pile for a friend's nieces, and I was able to clear off most of a small bookcase.
  • And when I finish clearing it off, I will have room for a real, full-sized, long enough to lie down on, couch! The bookcase is at the end of the loveseat, next to where the bike was, so it opens up possibilities.
I know, I'm talking about getting rid of stuff before moving, and then I talk about getting a couch! The thing is, I've only ever had the two loveseats (which were both hand-me-downs), and having a couch long enough to lie down on is a long-standing dream for me. Plus, these are two old, banged-up loveseats, and replacing one with an actually comfortable couch would be fabulous.

So! Where do I shop for one? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars--hell, I don't have thousands to spend, and I don't even want to spend hundreds! But I really want something comfortable. Advise, please.

~~~~~
Unrelated, but very cool video about driving a model T. Worth the watch!


3 comments:

  1. That video about the old Model T was wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that where you look for a couch will depend on how permanent an acquisition you intend it to be. If you are comfortable with the idea of ditching it before moving to Florida, why not someplace like Bob's Discount Furniture? There are a number of them in the area and they do deliver.

    Liked the Model T video - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couches long enough to lie down on are WORTH IT!!

    We've gotten totally decent (like, still in use) furniture from Bob's, and I've also had luck with Value City, especially for pieces I expect to have a shorter life span.

    ReplyDelete