Friday, July 31, 2015

Really Real

On Wednesday, after I got home and saw the message about the new job, and cooled down and showered and put on clean clothing (nothing like unpacking boxes, and in an apartment that just got the air conditioning fixed, to make me drip with sweat), I went out to get library books and then Chinese food. I forgot to check the fortune in the fortune cookie until the next morning.
Which really made me smile, as you can imagine. Being laid off was such a complete shock, but I have felt very fortunate in my support during the whole thing.

As I said on Wednesday, I'd been told the offer would come "by next week," but in fact it arrived this morning, ahhh. I read, signed, scanned, and returned it, making it all official. I have three weeks (three! weeks!) to get all ready and stuff, and then, other than going in to get the computer and all that, I will be working from home. Double ahhh.

And how did I celebrate, today? Well, I went to get my hair cut, and pick up groceries, both needed if not super exciting. Then this afternoon I called about having my recent 401k rolled into my IRA--I haven't been good about doing this promptly in the past, so I have several scattered accounts, and when I got the letter about this one, I thought dammit, this is one loose end that I am going to take care of! And I did ... just two weeks after getting the letter. Ahem. But it's done, and perhaps I will tackle some of the other old ones next week. Whee! On a roll! Making phone calls! About weird* financial subjects! Such fun! Ahem, ahem. I do keep waiting for the grownup who understands these things to take care of them for me, but perhaps it is time to give up on that.
*Seriously, I have both a "traditional" IRA and a Roth IRA, and while I understand the difference (one is pre-tax money and the other isn't), should I have both? Should I roll the Roth into the traditional? Vice versa? Or just leave it? And if I ever have spare money to contribute (ha ha, I slay me), which one should I put it in? I swear I need a keeper.

2 comments:

  1. Well, yay for you about the job, and yay for "adulting."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well good! Glad the official offer finally came through. About the IRA things. We bank at a Credit Union and use a financial officer (for free) at one of the branches to advise us on these issues. He has been extremely helpful. You might check to see if your current financial institution offers anything like that.

    ReplyDelete