Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mystery Yarn

I am moving slowly today. I woke in the night with a headache coming on, took something for it, and slept obscenely late. My head doesn't hurt now, but I'm in that swimmy, dreamy, post-head state that does not lend itself to brisk action. I did, however, finally remember during daylight hours that there was something I wanted to get photographed.

When my mother arrived last month, she brought me something that was not Christmas-related. I may have mentioned that she volunteers at her local charity shop, and that she told the woman who sorts out the craft items there that her daughter is a knitter, in case anything "interesting" was donated. Do you see where this is going?

Meet the mystery yarn.


It's dark, but with many colors throughout.


Someone had started something with it!


The skein is 100 grams:

One ball is 99:

One ball 98:

And the last bit is 81:

I shall always wonder what happened to the remainder!

For the math-impaired such as myself, that makes about 379 grams.


Quite a lot! It's not butter-soft, but not scratchy either. There are no labels (of course), and I have no idea what it's made of. (I may have to apply the Yarn Harlot's burn test, and other test ideas from Knitting Rules, but given my currently fuzzy state, today is not a good day for that.) I think, though I am no expert, that it is not plied, but is a single strand. The thickness is inconsistent, but it's fairly chunky-weight.

I don't know what it wants to be yet ... so the story pauses there for now.

2 comments:

  1. It wants to be a lovely shawl for work -- reversible, warm and not showing the dirt. I just forwarded you the email list I got showing just such an animal. Of course, I may be prejudiced since I'm currently having a love affair with garter stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better my dear. I finished the application! Hope to see you soon, jdj

    ReplyDelete