Sunday, January 22, 2012

Knit Updates

And how is the knitting lately, you ask? Why, progress is being made, thank you for asking.

I've been tickled by working on the moebius. It looks like I'm alternately knitting and purling, though only knitting happens.


I started in the middle, where the look changes, and am going outward both ways at once. I put a stitch marker on, to mark the start of the round, and after I knit for a while, I see it again, but not on the needles.


See the marker hanging there at the bottom? It's pretty mind-bending. Keep knitting, and it's back on the needles again.


I don't know if you can trace the edge around, but it's an Escher thing to me. The Cat Bordhi book is in at the library; I look forward to seeing what she says, particularly about casting off. I have 2-3 inches now, and am thinking of casting off and, if it fits over my head*, calling it a cowl, but I want to look at the book first.

*If it doesn't fit, it's an experiment--or practice!

I'm also making progress on the sock, second of the pair I started Christmas Eve.


Speaking of socks, here's the almost-full sock drawer:


Most of the hand-knits are machine wash/air dry, but I'm still hand-washing the ones that striped my feet--and they're still turning the water blue, which blows me away, this has to be the third or fourth time I washed them, if not more, and still the blue comes out. (The socks themselves don't look faded; perhaps the dye is coming from a parallel dimension.) The fuller the drawer gets, the happier it makes me.

Yesterday I finished the second mitt for Mum--less than a month late! Hey, once it's late, it's late, right? Here's a bad picture.


My mother has the other one, so I'll try to remember to get a picture of the pair when I'm there. Yes, the trip is coming up: we leave a week from Thursday. Woohoo! Just a long weekend, but yay for leaving the cold zone for the land of seashells and oranges, even briefly. We got a couple of inches of snow here yesterday, three maybe, enough to be messy. I haven't missed the white stuff a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Too cool how that "cowl" is turning out. And that is one happy sock drawer! How odd about about the blue socks, though.

    We didn't need snow down here, either. At least not on a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sock drawer.

    Unless it's got a special edging on the pattern (and the ones I made from Cat's book didn't) you just bind off like normal.

    I'm cursing because I've now incurred plow bills for the first time this season. It's just not fair when we got away scot free for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa love, love, LOVE the sock drawer.
    Would vinegar help "set" the dye? With cotton it is awesome. I wonder if the wool is too delicate or if it would be okay. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinegar will work. But an easier way is to soak them in water with salt in it (table salt is what I use). That usaully works too.

    ReplyDelete